Author
Topic: Mexico new 1,000 peso bill circulation today  (Read 7756 times)
suretteda
« on: November 15, 2004, 12:09:17 pm »

MEXICO CITY — Mexico unveiled a 1,000 peso bill last week, the largest denomination available.

The bill, equivalent to $87, will begin circulating Nov. 15. About 50 million will be put into circulation. Central bank officials said they created the note after noticing increased use of 200-peso and 500-peso bills.

"There's a growing appetite to pay with higher-denominated bills," Manuel Galan, the Bank of Mexico's director of programming, said Thursday. He added that the new notes will improve "efficiency in doing commercial transactions."

The amount of bills and coins in circulation is about 280 billion pesos ($24.5 billion.)

In recent weeks, the peso has strengthened against the U.S. dollar.

Two weeks ago, Mexico's central bankers said they don't expect inflation to begin declining until the second quarter of 2005, implying that further monetary tightening lies ahead. Inflation had spiked to an annual 5.4 percent rate by mid-October.

Dow Jones Newswires contributed to this story.

The purple-and-green-hued bill will feature the likeness of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, who led Mexico's independence in 1810.

http://www.courierjournal.com/business/news2004/11/07/D6-peso07-2784.html

Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:19:45 pm »

I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago and I didn't see any 1000 pesos notes. 500 pesos and 200 pesos are also rare.

I had the chance to get 5 consecutive UNC 20 pesos notes. These notes are made of polymer.

I would like to trade or sell 3 of these notes. Also I am looking for the current 50 and 100 pesos bills in UNC. Please contact me if you are interested.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:23:20 pm by philippe_b »

Philippe
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:10:32 pm »

I wonder if you would be so kind as to make some high resolution scans of your note (the 1000 peso note) and email them to me please?  I'd like to get a resolution of about 600 dpi.  This is for a research article that I am writing for the Canadian Paper Money Society Newsletter.

Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:35:32 pm »

Looking for Eurions?     ;)

Have you figured out how many Eurions/bill are required?  I imagine the more the better, but will a single "constellation" trigger the security response?

Here's another question:  I had heard about the new Xerox machines shutting down when trying to photocopy new banknotes; how do you get your copier up and running again?  Or does it just refuse to copy the notes and works fine for everything else?

Anybody had experience with this phenomenon?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 05:41:02 pm by kellyb »

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:39:26 pm »

Looking for Eurions?
Yep.  Although surprisingly, I don't think I found a single one on that note.  Maybe they're doing something a little different.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:33:14 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:42:38 pm »

What about right under the "A" in the top left serial number?  Looks like a Eurion to me; how precise does its measurments have to be?

Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05:13 pm »

Yep.  Although surprisingly, I don't think I found a single one on that note.  Maybe they're doing something a little different.

They are on the left edge of the note, look at the patern of the yellow dots. looks like eurions to me.
The dots on the right seems to have an other patern.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:06:56 pm by detonate »

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:29:23 pm »

ps:  Good article in the CPMS newsletter (March 05) by the way Brent!

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:31:04 pm »

What about right under the "A" in the top left serial number?  Looks like a Eurion to me; how precise does its measurments have to be?
They are on the left edge of the note, look at the patern of the yellow dots. looks like eurions to me. The dots on the right seems to have an other patern.
If I recall correctly, I couldn't find a single set of 5 circles that lined up properly with the pattern seen on all other notes.  There were a couple close ones, but none bang-on.  I'm only going on memory here, so I could be wrong.  I'll refresh my memory later tonight when I get home and have the high-res blue-channel scans and patterns in front of me.

ps:  Good article in the CPMS newsletter (March 05) by the way Brent!
Thanks!

Have you figured out how many Eurions/bill are required?  I imagine the more the better, but will a single "constellation" trigger the security response?

Here's another question:  I had heard about the new Xerox machines shutting down when trying to photocopy new banknotes; how do you get your copier up and running again?  Or does it just refuse to copy the notes and works fine for everything else?

Anybody had experience with this phenomenon?
I was speaking with Don Roebuck not too long ago, in fact just after my article was published, and he said that he was attempting to copy a note that had the circles (before he saw the article) and the copier simply printed a 100% black page.  It worked normally on anything else, but whenever he tried that banknote, the page was pure black.

As far as I know, one single constellation is enough to trigger the anti-counterfeiting reactions.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:39:45 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:57:54 pm »

I just re-checked those scans, and sure enough, I was right.  I can't find a set of 5 circles anywhere on either side that match up with the pattern that I have seen on all the other notes.

Now that doesn't mean you can photocopy the note.

I read somewhere that it is not necessarily the PATTERN, but rather it is the ratio of distances between the central circle and the 4 outlying circles.  This means that the circles can be in random rotation around the central circle.  So... this note probably does still trigger the Eurion anti-counterfeiting routines in the copiers' logic.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length