Author
Topic: Charges dropped in bogus $200 Bush bill  (Read 4654 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 15, 2004, 02:10:11 pm »

Charges dropped in bogus $200 Bush bill

Monday, November 15, 2004 Posted: 1346 GMT (2146 HKT)

GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Charges have been dropped against a woman who paid for clothes with a fake $200 bill that featured President Bush's picture and the serial number DUBYA4U2001.

Westmoreland County prosecutors dropped all charges Friday against Deborah L. Trautwine, 51, after she paid the store in real currency.

Trautwine wasn't aware that the bill wasn't actual legal tender, said her attorney, Harry Smail Jr.

A clerk at a Fashion Bug clothing store also apparently was fooled by the funny money.

She gave Trautwine $100.58 in change following an August transaction.

There is no $200 denomination bill, even without Bush's picture on it.

The back of the phony bill depicted the White House with several signs erected on the front lawn, including those reading "We Like Broccoli" and "USA Deserves A Tax Cut."

Source: CNN (click for actual article)

Yeah..... Stupid people need to wear signs saying "I'm stupid.  Feel free to pass phoney money here!  All $7 bills are real!!!"

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
pbcoins
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 05:14:28 pm »

Yeah..... Stupid people need to wear signs saying "I'm stupid.  Feel free to pass phoney money here!  All $7 bills are real!!!"

Why?  Do you have a lot of fake currency you need cashed?  :o :o :o
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:43:12 pm »

I have heard a story about a woman who paid for her purchase with a US $1,000,000 bill at a Wal-Mart store somewhere in the USA.  She was caught red-handed.  I couldn't stop laughing!!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 12:54:42 am »

Yes, I believe the cashier was even dumb enough to go so far as to ask his/her manager to verify the note's authenticity.  Those novelty notes are SO obviously fake that the mere thought of anyone taking them seriously is disheartening to say the least.  I can't imagine how some people would be / could be so stupid.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 01:01:47 am »

I remember once I went into a store and asked if they would change my $18 bill.  The clerk responded "sure, no problem, didja want three sixes or two nines?"    ;)

Steve11
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 01:02:10 am »

One wonders what would happen if you took a REALLY ugly totaly destroyed,,in pieces..chunks missing..of a valid $4.00 bill to a bank ??

Login with username, password and session length