Author
Topic: The New Fifty - Who's got it?  (Read 19911 times)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:04 pm »

Canadahk, you've made a point.  When the new fiver was issued in 2002, a lot of banks would only give me four of them.  Luckily, when I went to the CIBC the day after the $5 release, I asked the friendly teller if she had the new fives.  She did, and I asked her for twenty of them.  She gave them to me in one single transaction, although most banks would only give out a maximum of four per customer, per day, immediately after release.  IMO, "first come, first served", is what it should be when a new bill gets released, but yes, canadahk, you made a very good point.

However, I don't plan on going to the bank myself until at least Friday.  But wouldn't it be kind of cool for me to get a crisp bill for every denomination of the Journey's?

Bye 4our Now, Jonathan :)

I guess the banks do it for good reason. They do it in fairness. Its like I could walk in with $50,000 and want all their new $50s. They want to distribute the notes to more people. I could have gotten in line again, but that would have been rather selfish of me. The new $50 will not dsiappoint any of our members here. Although, the notes I got, have that wave in the hologam, and the tactile dots are so strong, that it ripped the paper, which means I will not be saving these ones. Also, the bank teller was pretty nice. Some have been rude when I asked for new notes in the past, and say "2 only!, No more!"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:29:05 pm by canada-hongkong »
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 09:35:22 pm »

Like canadahk, I got my Journey $50s from the BMO at First Canadian Place.  I checked most of the other TD Canada Trust branches in the financial district and none of them had any.

First AHA siting?

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/Journey50_Front.JPG }
{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/Journey50_Back_AHA5829377.JPG }
{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/Journey50_Back_AHB3247700.JPG}
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 09:43:49 pm »

Hmmm, the red colour on these seems quite a bit darker than on the others' scans.  I hope when I get mine they look like this one does.  This is the first image of the new $50 I have seen in which I can say I like the colour.   :P

It seems that these, like the $20, have that dimple mark on the bottom edge near the security thread.  Has anyone found a $20 without this impairment yet?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 09:44:49 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 10:05:38 pm »

My scans are too dark, the Journey $50s are in fact much lighter.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 10:45:34 pm »

Hmmm, the red colour on these seems quite a bit darker than on the others' scans.  I hope when I get mine they look like this one does.  This is the first image of the new $50 I have seen in which I can say I like the colour.   :P

It seems that these, like the $20, have that dimple mark on the bottom edge near the security thread.  Has anyone found a $20 without this impairment yet?

Yes, I have found no fewer than 20 UNC new $20s without the impairment. The notes found in the middle of bricks tend to have less of this impairment which means around 400-600th notes dont have the dimple. The 50s I have don't have them, but like I said, the tactile dots damaged the note.
JB-2007
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 01:59:19 am »

Im in no rush to get the new 50. At the moment only regular common prefixes have been released so i have no intention on rushing to get one. I collect mostly just replacement notes so i will wait a bit till a replacement 2004 50 is available.
Steve11
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 03:36:33 pm »

ITS UGLY!!! there I've said it..This is the ugliest money next to the 1991 Loon that I have ever seen, and that includes the 1920 Russian inflationairy notes...

the colour is PINK..not red,,,not rouge, not nothing but PINK!!..the images of the women on the back look like cartoon characters,,,and the "We are People To" is obliterated by the security thingme.

PM MacKenzie King looks ... well...I think personally that he needs to go to the bathroom..surely there was a better image of him than that one.

All in all, I am totaly disappointed in not only the artisty of the note,,but the colour,,and the overall workmanship is shoddy .. to say the least.

Edge ripples, whole note ripples, "roller" impressions,,edge dings...I looked thru at least 40 notes at the BoC Currency Museum before settling on 3 that were somewhat better than the others. and NO they are not for me..I just hope Australia and Los Angles dont' declare war on us...

Sorry; but thats how I feel...after the great 20,,the really nice 100..the super 10, and novel yet appealing 5...we get this...oh well....
jonathan
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 10:45:36 pm »

I will be heading down to the Scotiabank in the Avalon Mall in St. John's first thing tomorrow morning.  If they do not have the new fifties, I will probably try back Tuesday or Wednesday. ;)

(I wonder what prefixes I will get??   ::))

Jonathan
paulk
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 04:36:15 pm »

I got my fifty today at TD in Newmarket, ONT. The teller was reluctant at first but then agreed to open a new bundle and get one.  The no. is AHA4931881. ::) :o
jonathan
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 05:21:53 pm »

I went to Scotiabank in the Avalon Mall in St. John's this morning on my quest for the new $50's - no luck. :(

However, I am very happy that I tried.  I will try that branch again on Tuesday, and if they don't have them that day, I will have to resort to the main branch downtown and try to get a few later next week.  ;)

I understand that the new note has been out for three days now, and there have not been very many members who have them as yet.

However, I did get some crisp "old" $50's at the Avalon Mall branch today.  They'll probably have to do me until next week.  8)

Later!  Jonathan  :)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2004, 04:23:56 am »

Now, who said there were limits at the bank branches on requesting new $50 notes?  ;)

In Vancouver, I went to a bank branch, and I asked them, "Has the branch received the new $50 notes?" The teller's reply was... "Yes.  How many were you looking for?"  I said, "As many as I can get."  Anyhow, to my surprise, he said, "If you want bundles of $50's I have them available, up to 3 bundles."  

My reaction was...   :o    Was this a joke... was this a dream?    :-X  Anyhow, I obtained one full bundle of the new $50 notes from a bank branch.   I was lucky to get a nice friendly teller who was happy it was Friday.  ;D

Now talk about limits.... 3 bundles!   :P  I like to see these a limits.

Coincidentally, it's the lowest AHA notes found so far... AHA0654700 to ...799.  

{http://picserver.org/view_image.php/JK2M559EY1J9/picserver.jpeg}
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 04:28:21 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
JB-2007
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2004, 09:13:50 am »

Well the new 50 is not THAT BAD... Its a much nicer note than any of those ugly USA green bills
jonathan
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2004, 02:49:08 pm »

On Nov. 20th, 2004, at 8:43 am, JB04-12 wrote:
Well the new 50 is not THAT BAD... Its a much nicer note than any of those ugly USA green bills

I totally agree, JB04-12 - because of its vibrant red colour and "Mr. 22 years himself" ;D.  However, I still think the multicoloured 1975 $50 note is the prettiest note since the BoC's inception. :)

Better yet, ANY $50 note with Mackenzie King's portrait is cool!   8)

Later!  ;)
Jonathan
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:51:45 pm by jonathan »
JB-2007
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 10:10:42 pm »

Yes i love the 1975 50$ its my favorite note. I have 4 in my collection all in Perfect condtion. I also love the 1935 50$... i do not have one in my collection but i hope to add one within the next 6 months
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2004, 10:32:02 pm »

Got AHA 4552979 at Bank of Nova Scotia at Sherway Mall in Toronto/Etobicoke.  Small crease at the bottom of the security thread identical to the crease shown on CJ_Sidewall's scans.  

Login with username, password and session length