Author
Topic: What is in your collection?  (Read 8238 times)
laub25
  • RCNA J22890
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:47 am »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, what each people collect. Do you collect only CDN paper money or are you also a coin collector?

Is there anyone that likes variety? Old and new canadian banknotes, recent banknotes, canadian coins and foreing currency.

Or are you guys focusing on only one or few items?

ikandiggit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:14:35 am »

I'm across the board. Coins, currency (domestic and foreign), and ephemera. My main area of focus is Canadian currency errors but I have expanded into U.S. errors as well. I also have various coin collections on the go.
laub25
  • RCNA J22890
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13:12 pm »

I'm across the board. Coins, currency (domestic and foreign), and ephemera. My main area of focus is Canadian currency errors but I have expanded into U.S. errors as well. I also have various coin collections on the go.

Thats nice, I enjoy variety too. When you start in a area, for example, canadian five cents or Dominion of Canada, do you always complete like every year of the coin and the paper money or you dont really focus on something and you just move to another series, so you leave holes in your collection?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:35:03 pm »

Unfortunately in my case I always have holes everywhere and am not one to get so called "Fillers"....I just can't keep a note if it is not pleasing to the eye....so I would rather wait, than just get something to say I have it....Of course that being said ...many notes will never come my way...the longer I wait ...the pricier they get :(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Tim
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »

I solely stick to Canadian bank notes.  When I started collecting I was trying to get one of every type but about 3 years ago, for whatever reason,  I began to collect only replacement notes and that is what I collect today.

Tim
VCP
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:06:47 pm »

I have an almost complete half dollar collection, an almost complete nickel collection , dimes and pennies are nowhere near being complete but my paper money is my focus now. I have some nice notes  and a few beauty`s but always looking as all of us are. My buying has slowed a bit lately due to financial constraints and my ebay activity is almost non existent now as the buyers seem to be spending crazy money on stuff but there is a jewel once in awhile. I have discovered through this forum and my sculking on ebay that old paper money DOC/BOC and chartered notes are my passion my addiction and hell I want them all!!!
ikandiggit
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:08:13 am »

Thats nice, I enjoy variety too. When you start in a area, for example, canadian five cents or Dominion of Canada, do you always complete like every year of the coin and the paper money or you dont really focus on something and you just move to another series, so you leave holes in your collection?

I have lots of holes in the collections. I'm still relatively new to collecting (2 years). I've bought large lots of loose pennies, both Canadian and U.S. to search through and I do coin-roll searching for the other denominations. I buy some items at a local monthly coin show but there are a limited number of dealers there and their stock doesn't change much, so that leaves ebay and internet stores.

All my collections are on going and I'm in no rush to bring them to completion. It's a pastime I enjoy and I don't allow pressure to complete the collections to diminish the enjoyment of it.
laub25
  • RCNA J22890
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:10 am »

but there are a limited number of dealers there and their stock doesn't change much, so that leaves ebay and internet stores. 

Yes, you are right on that point. Dealer stocks do not change very often so sometimes you have to visit somewhere else.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »

Hey there was a similar thread to this one, maybe things have changed since  ???

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=4059.0

I still collect birds on banknotes.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
laub25
  • RCNA J22890
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:45:34 pm »

Yeah right there was a similar post, but many years have passed so I guess having a new post is better  ;D
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:59:07 pm »

I started by collecting only special numbers (mostly radars), then expanded into replacements, then to errors. Then into USD notes (Offset and Butterfly Folds, Gold/Silver Certificates and Star [replacement] notes)

Currently collecting:

Collecting certain USD Fancy two digit Radars
Trying to build Dominion of Canada DC-13 $1 Note set
Money for Trip in December

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:19:20 pm »

One part is all 630 2 digit radar combinations and to make it a little more challenging all in Unc+ condition  ;D

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »

One part is all 630 2 digit radar combinations and to make it a little more challenging all in Unc+ condition  ;D

Make it even more challenging.....in all denominations ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
laub25
  • RCNA J22890
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

No Dominion of Canada, 1935, 1937??
ShareBear
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 02:49:27 am »

Did you ever put together a list of banknotes with birds?  That's a cool collection.  Most world banknote collectors collect QE II.

Hey there was a similar thread to this one, maybe things have changed since  ???

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=4059.0

I still collect birds on banknotes.

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 04:51:38 pm »

Did you ever put together a list of banknotes with birds?  That's a cool collection.  Most world banknote collectors collect QE II.

I have most of them here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/twoparroteyes/BirdsNoteCollection#

My list is and may forever be a work-in-progress.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Bernie
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 10:33:13 am »

I collect anything related to my main historical research area of the Niagara River region: notes from any country, proofs, printing plates, stocks, bonds, checks, books, magazines, prints, maps, coins, medals, post cards, bank paraphernalia, and other ephemera.

I also collect proofs and counterfeit Canadian chartered and US obsolete notes.

Login with username, password and session length