Author
Topic: five dollars  (Read 10819 times)
kidneystone
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:49:23 am »

hi first time here, any one no of a error with the five printed in 2004. when you stick it under a black light the whole front of the bill glows, compaired to a other five and only the water marks glow.if i take a picture of it under a black light will it turn out? thanks,need to buy light first,will try soon, hope its an errow ::)
kidneystone
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:16:48 am »

the glowing on the front is the same colour of the regular  water marks ( if thats what u call it where the guys head appears). and sorry its allmost the whole front 3mm on each dont glow.also it looks like it over lapped a few times.cant wait to send picture :o :D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:17:25 am »

That depends on what it looks like.

Check to make sure it's not counterfeit first.  Poor counterfeit notes do not perform well under UV light, but may fool the naked eye under normal light.

If it's a real note, it may simply have picked up some kind of substance that is UV-bright.  I believe bleach is, so if the note was in the laundry, it might exhibit what you describe, although I've not tried this myself.

If you take a picture of it under UV light, try to avoid using a flash if possible.  It might drown out the UV light source.  I am eager to see what you are seeing :D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 11:34:49 am »

If you have trouble posting your photo, send me a PM and I will make sure it gets posted.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
kidneystone
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 06:42:47 pm »

i have looked at it under a magnifying glass and compared the two looks good to me.any other way to tell if counter fit,besides bringing it to a bank lol?
thanks kstone
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 07:37:12 pm »

There are lots of security features on our banknotes... Here's a link explaining them all.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/counterfeit/security/index05_2001-04.html

I encourage you to check it out and learn about all of the security features found on Canadian money.  The general public is far too uneducated about them, and combined with the fact that few people bother to perform even the simplist of checks, that means that a lot of fakes get by very easily.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
kidneystone
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 03:20:55 am »

picture is comming soon, >:( found out its not fake :)should have pics monday-tuesday ,
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 02:58:47 pm »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:01:19 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
kidneystone
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 05:40:51 pm »

the back of the bill doesnt glow,and just 3/4 of the front ,looks like water mark ink.i dont think its been in the wash , but what do i know. i just droped my film off  :D. im finding myself going to the bank 3-4 times a day making with draws taking the money home and looking at it lol, then going back to make deposits,then going through my wifes money.help, :-/ its like a drug, well got to go get filmand stop at a few bank machines along the way,
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 06:02:40 pm »

He has been bit.   :o

Tom
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:30 pm »

At least you are looking at paper money. When I started I used to look at rolls and rolls of pennies and nickels. Paper is much easier to carry.

Gary_T
kidneystone
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 07:48:23 pm »

ya ,in the late 60 s i would collect bottles then take the to the corner store and get the money in pennies,look for early dates,didnt know about error and all that other stuff ,any ways got my pics back :-/  
kidneystone
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 06:19:51 am »

best i have right now,  playing with the hue & saturation sure looks like the same water mark application,if u look in the top right corner ,you can see what ever it is,  it  layered it twice with nice straight lines.  the second or first layer looks a little shifted down and to the right. :o. could this be a new error in bills. and look at the gold leaves, cool i like it . well time to check all my canadain tire money with the uv lots of that :o,will get more pics up soon.  g great time to get laid off :'(, o well a little time to go hunting. my new hobby ;D   thanks for the coolest site.
kidneystone
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 06:24:01 am »

ps.    the bottom bill  is to compare
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 10:43:43 am »

Very interesting.  I would suggest getting in touch with Tom here on the forums and perhaps arranging for him to have a look at it in person.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length