Author
Topic: You have to see this  (Read 9557 times)
noon
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:21 am »

I was tracking 2 notes are on sale in eBay Australia
1st note : PROVINCE OF CANADA $1 DOLLAR TORONTO  sold for $200   
it sold for $1400 in OCT show lot 1344
This link is from FEB show it didn't sell but you can see the pic  look at the right top corner you can see a 2 red mark .

http://www.icollector.com/Province-of-Canada-185-1-PC-UNL-Face-Proof-PCGS-UNC60-Very-scarce_i9219777

EBay item 320609557716 see the scan lol it's fake same scan

2ND  : CANADA HALIFAX $1 DOLLAR 1878 RARE
I did see the notes at the   TOREX OCTOBER AUCTION
http://www.icollector.com/1878-1-DC-8d-008338-Halifax-note-PCGS-F12-Edge-Minor-tear-at-right-Rare_i9830349 
sold for 4500$
PIC from eBay listing or item   320609558907 and you can see it's a copy scan lol

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=320609558907

the scan from PCGS IS from the torex show the scan from ebay is a copy scan 

Should i report him to ebay ???
Hounddog
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

> " Should i report him to ebay "

Absolutely report it and they can take it from there. I don't think the auction house would be to pleased either unless he gained permission which I doubt they would give.

[img
noon
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »

I report the listing to eBay but they didn't remove it yet
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:23 pm »

Noon: good eye on this one. I have withdrawn my bid...
I think the same seller (different name) did the same with a Newfoundland note back in the spring that I won but did not receive. Fortunately paypal refunded the entire value of the transaction including the shipping fee...
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »

Item seems to have been delisted
noon
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »

I waited over 45 min to get live help and they did remove it .
I gave the the link from the  The Canadian Numismatic Company .
There is a software that protect listing , A big company
Like The Canadian Numismatic Company, they need to add it
Hounddog
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »

My hat off to you and thanks.

Cheers Bill

[img
noon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

Thanks Bill,
Every one of us is looking for a deal out there but  we need to be careful and do our home work

:)
wxwindsor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:09 am »

Hello, I've read here often for about a year but this will be my first posting here.

October 13, I won Ebay item listed here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160491700437&ru=http://shop.ebay.ca:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160491700437%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_698wt_1139

Now I've read this thread and was able to navigate to this listing:
http://www.icollector.com/The-Royal-Bank-of-Canada-1927-20-318277-CH-630-14-12-PMG-VF20_i9219725

Obviously, it's the same.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:04:18 am »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Did you receive the note from the seller?
If you did, I see no harm in it being the same note from a recent previous auction.
When you follow auctions, you will tend to notice some notes keep circulating through the auction circle, and sometimes rather quickly.
Notes are relatively easy to track with their serial number.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:33:05 am by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:39 am »

This is a very common scam that happens with older more expensive US notes, I guess crooks are getting wiser and are now also exploiting the Canadian collector's market as well. However this is a tad different from those types because this ebay account is brand new.

Typically with this type of scam they hire legitimate owners of ebay accounts by promising a percentage of the "sales" or hack a really really old inactive ebay account that has 20-30 feedback. They will setup a fake auction with an relatively expensive/rare item, use shill accounts to bid up the item and once the auction has ended leave amazing feedback for the item. THEN they will list another more rare/expensive item and say they accept payments such as paypal. Because their accounts are based in the US, the accounts are "old" AND they've had recent/previous 'evidence' that they have sold expensive numismatic items in the past they hope to trick collectors. When the auction actually ends, a majority of the time they will tell the buyer something went wrong with their paypal account and then instruct them to use bank wire to send the payment to an offshore account in a completely different country (usually its Russian Bloc). Once you send payment you can kiss your money goodbye!

Its always great to be cautious and do your research whenever you want to buy something or spend large sums of money. Let's just hope the scenario described above don't start pervading into the Canadian numismatic market. :-\ 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:48:03 am by Wizard1 »

wxwindsor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Did you receive the note from the seller?
If you did, I see no harm in it being the same note from a recent previous auction.
When you follow auctions, you will tend to notice some notes keep circulating through the auction circle, and sometimes rather quickly.
Notes are relatively easy to track with their serial number.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome!
I have not received the note yet, but taking international shipping from Australia into account we are still in the acceptable time frame. After reading this thread and doing some homework it just seemed a little fishy and I guess I'm just starting to worry if the note will show up after all or I've been taken to the cleaners. It's a good lesson to remember to do your homework on some of these bids though.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

What nmars has said is correct.   Once the seller takes the money out, and you file a buyer's claim of non-receipt,  you will get no money back from PayPal.  You just lost your money. 

There's another option.  If the seller has already withdrawn the funds from their PayPal account, and if you used Paypal, using a credit card option as payment, you can still contact your credit company of non-receipt of goods.  The credit card company will then do a 'chargeback' against PayPal, and PayPal is out of the money.

If you used existing funds in your PayPal Account, or bank account option, you are out of luck if the seller withdrew all the money.   

Smile from your heart.  ;D
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:59:01 pm »

paypal will refund the payment. It's the paypal/ebay guarantee. The quicker you file the quicker the refund will be processed....
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:06 pm »

What nmars has said is correct.   Once the seller takes the money out, and you file a buyer's claim of non-receipt,  you will get no money back from PayPal.  You just lost your money.  

Just a curiosity, even the seller withdraw the money from their paypal account, does paypal debit the seller's bank account or credit card account to get back the money?  If yes, then without the seller's authorization, how does paypal do that?  If no, does paypal eat the lost and then eventually chargeback to all the paypal users?  (similar to the banking fees)

Yuman

Login with username, password and session length