Author
Topic: You have to see this  (Read 9562 times)
noon
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:21 am »

I was tracking 2 notes are on sale in eBay Australia
1st note : PROVINCE OF CANADA $1 DOLLAR TORONTO  sold for $200   
it sold for $1400 in OCT show lot 1344
This link is from FEB show it didn't sell but you can see the pic  look at the right top corner you can see a 2 red mark .

http://www.icollector.com/Province-of-Canada-185-1-PC-UNL-Face-Proof-PCGS-UNC60-Very-scarce_i9219777

EBay item 320609557716 see the scan lol it's fake same scan

2ND  : CANADA HALIFAX $1 DOLLAR 1878 RARE
I did see the notes at the   TOREX OCTOBER AUCTION
http://www.icollector.com/1878-1-DC-8d-008338-Halifax-note-PCGS-F12-Edge-Minor-tear-at-right-Rare_i9830349 
sold for 4500$
PIC from eBay listing or item   320609558907 and you can see it's a copy scan lol

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=320609558907

the scan from PCGS IS from the torex show the scan from ebay is a copy scan 

Should i report him to ebay ???
Hounddog
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

> " Should i report him to ebay "

Absolutely report it and they can take it from there. I don't think the auction house would be to pleased either unless he gained permission which I doubt they would give.

[img
noon
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »

I report the listing to eBay but they didn't remove it yet
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:23 pm »

Noon: good eye on this one. I have withdrawn my bid...
I think the same seller (different name) did the same with a Newfoundland note back in the spring that I won but did not receive. Fortunately paypal refunded the entire value of the transaction including the shipping fee...
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »

Item seems to have been delisted
noon
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »

I waited over 45 min to get live help and they did remove it .
I gave the the link from the  The Canadian Numismatic Company .
There is a software that protect listing , A big company
Like The Canadian Numismatic Company, they need to add it
Hounddog
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »

My hat off to you and thanks.

Cheers Bill

[img
noon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

Thanks Bill,
Every one of us is looking for a deal out there but  we need to be careful and do our home work

:)
wxwindsor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:09 am »

Hello, I've read here often for about a year but this will be my first posting here.

October 13, I won Ebay item listed here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160491700437&ru=http://shop.ebay.ca:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160491700437%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_698wt_1139

Now I've read this thread and was able to navigate to this listing:
http://www.icollector.com/The-Royal-Bank-of-Canada-1927-20-318277-CH-630-14-12-PMG-VF20_i9219725

Obviously, it's the same.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:04:18 am »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Did you receive the note from the seller?
If you did, I see no harm in it being the same note from a recent previous auction.
When you follow auctions, you will tend to notice some notes keep circulating through the auction circle, and sometimes rather quickly.
Notes are relatively easy to track with their serial number.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:33:05 am by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:39 am »

This is a very common scam that happens with older more expensive US notes, I guess crooks are getting wiser and are now also exploiting the Canadian collector's market as well. However this is a tad different from those types because this ebay account is brand new.

Typically with this type of scam they hire legitimate owners of ebay accounts by promising a percentage of the "sales" or hack a really really old inactive ebay account that has 20-30 feedback. They will setup a fake auction with an relatively expensive/rare item, use shill accounts to bid up the item and once the auction has ended leave amazing feedback for the item. THEN they will list another more rare/expensive item and say they accept payments such as paypal. Because their accounts are based in the US, the accounts are "old" AND they've had recent/previous 'evidence' that they have sold expensive numismatic items in the past they hope to trick collectors. When the auction actually ends, a majority of the time they will tell the buyer something went wrong with their paypal account and then instruct them to use bank wire to send the payment to an offshore account in a completely different country (usually its Russian Bloc). Once you send payment you can kiss your money goodbye!

Its always great to be cautious and do your research whenever you want to buy something or spend large sums of money. Let's just hope the scenario described above don't start pervading into the Canadian numismatic market. :-\ 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:48:03 am by Wizard1 »

wxwindsor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Did you receive the note from the seller?
If you did, I see no harm in it being the same note from a recent previous auction.
When you follow auctions, you will tend to notice some notes keep circulating through the auction circle, and sometimes rather quickly.
Notes are relatively easy to track with their serial number.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome!
I have not received the note yet, but taking international shipping from Australia into account we are still in the acceptable time frame. After reading this thread and doing some homework it just seemed a little fishy and I guess I'm just starting to worry if the note will show up after all or I've been taken to the cleaners. It's a good lesson to remember to do your homework on some of these bids though.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

What nmars has said is correct.   Once the seller takes the money out, and you file a buyer's claim of non-receipt,  you will get no money back from PayPal.  You just lost your money. 

There's another option.  If the seller has already withdrawn the funds from their PayPal account, and if you used Paypal, using a credit card option as payment, you can still contact your credit company of non-receipt of goods.  The credit card company will then do a 'chargeback' against PayPal, and PayPal is out of the money.

If you used existing funds in your PayPal Account, or bank account option, you are out of luck if the seller withdrew all the money.   

Smile from your heart.  ;D
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:59:01 pm »

paypal will refund the payment. It's the paypal/ebay guarantee. The quicker you file the quicker the refund will be processed....
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:06 pm »

What nmars has said is correct.   Once the seller takes the money out, and you file a buyer's claim of non-receipt,  you will get no money back from PayPal.  You just lost your money.  

Just a curiosity, even the seller withdraw the money from their paypal account, does paypal debit the seller's bank account or credit card account to get back the money?  If yes, then without the seller's authorization, how does paypal do that?  If no, does paypal eat the lost and then eventually chargeback to all the paypal users?  (similar to the banking fees)

Yuman
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

What some scrupulous seller's do is send the money off to another PayPal account (to a different account owner), where it's then removed by the other PayPal account holder (usually with a different name).  The seller's original accounts where they accepted the funds will most likely not have any bank accounts or credit cards linked up.   

As what alvin5454 has mentioned, is incorrect.  Only if seller has money in the PayPal account - will it then be refunded to the buyer - most reputible sellers have money sitting in the cash position of their PayPal accounts.   I had a fellow collector, friend, bought an item on eBay for which he did not receive the item.  They went through PayPal to make the claim.  PayPal informs my friend that the seller had no funds in the account.  And that PayPal was going to try collect the refund - ONLY if they are able to get the funds from the PayPal account holder.   Anyhow, to this date, he's never seen his money back.   And it still shows up on his PayPal account as a claim outstanding.  I said to my friend, say good bye to your $300.  It's already been 6 months, and no money. 

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »

Coinsplus:

With all due respect, please do not simply dismiss my posts out of hand. It is very annoying. I do not make posts frivolously or without knowing the facts.
You, in your post citing me, are incorrect.
Paypal protection is now not based on what is in a seller's account but it is a Paypal promotional tool. Paypal will make a refund if an item is not received if you have paid for it through that service. Check the terms and conditions.
Paypal changed the policy of refunds only from sellers' accounts long ago.
Paypal (owned by ebay) generates more business by providing that revised service.
However, the price for the protection is steep and it affects us all.
That's the price we all pay when fraudsters such as this seller registered in Australia perpetrate their crimes.
I know. I was a victim about a month ago of what appears to be this seller. When contacted, Paypal had my refund back into my credit-card account, with no services charge, in about three days.
I don't like ebay's "final valuation" rates, nor do I like Paypal's charges to transfer money to my account, nor do I like Paypal's foreign exchange rates.
I do like paypal's buyer protection plan.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »

Hi Alvin5454,

I apologise.  We are both partially right.   My friend did two payments via PayPal to a seller, one from his cash balance and the other partial payment from his credit card using PayPal.  He's out on his cash balance because Paypal does not cover two PayPal payments to a seller for the item purchased.  It has to be one single payment via PayPal.

ie.  Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible. 

In any event it's always better using credit card payments via PayPal because of better buyer protection than PayPal's lengthy back and forth e-mail claims and explanation.  PayPal also knows this, but doesn't like this, as per their policy:

Relationship between PayPal’s protection programs and Chargebacks. Credit card Chargeback rights, if they apply, are broader than PayPal’s protection programs. Chargebacks may be filed more than 45 days after the payment, may cover unsatisfactory items even if they do not qualify as Significantly Not As Described, and may cover intangible items. You may pursue a Dispute/Claim with PayPal, or you may contact your credit card company and pursue your Chargeback rights. You may not pursue both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you have an open Dispute or Claim with PayPal, and also file a Chargeback with your credit card company, PayPal will close your Dispute or Claim, and you will have to rely solely on your Chargeback rights.

If PayPal does not make a final decision on your Claim until after your credit card issuer's deadline for filing a chargeback, and because of our delay you recover less than the full amount you would have been entitled to recover from the credit card issuer, we will reimburse you for the remainder of your loss (minus any amount you have already recovered from the Seller).

Before contacting your card issuer or filing a Dispute with PayPal, you should contact the Seller to resolve your issue in accordance with the Seller’s return policy as stated on their auction or website.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:19:44 pm by coinsplus »

wxwindsor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:23:31 am »

Just an update on my part of this story. I never received the note from the seller. Seller was a phony as suspected.  Luckily I payed through PayPal via credit card so I was reimbursed in full.

Login with username, password and session length