Poll

This poll is closed

This poll is closed
This poll is closed again
Author
Topic: Improving the cleaned/pressed note  (Read 6637 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »

This poll is closed, move along.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:58:20 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
OneTime
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »

If evidence of tampering (cleaning/pressing) by some means could be removed, or if a note could be 'cleaned up' (brightened, re-embossed) in a way that was not detectable, then who could complain.  Trimming is often undetectable.

Is the question asking if a cleaned note should be made dirty again?  Or a pressed note be wrinkled up again?  Or is the question asking if a pressed/cleaned note may as well have more improvements done to it to restore it?

If the note was already in a registry in a lesser grade before cleanup/pressing or the person that sold it before cleanup could bring evidence (pictures) forwards then there may be an issue there.

I have no problems 'cleaning/improving' a note that is in my collection.  I bought a $100 from 54 that had a name written in pencil on it.  I erased it.  The note looks a lot better.  I would imagine that no one would be able to tell that the name was erased unless they had a magnifying glass and were looking at exactly the right spot.  I would not want to put it back the way it was to remove evidence of erasing.

I have a dirty old folded up rag of a $1 devils face.  Its so soggy it can pick up more water than a paper towel.  That thing has been through a million hands and every kind of contaminant.  If it was cleaned and pressed, would I put it back to the dirty rag it was in order to remove the look of tampering? hmmmmmm.  If I were to clean and press it and realized it could actually be honed up to look like a new bill that would be indistinguishable from a new one...hmmmmm

Maybe it depends on the note.  Cleaned and pressed =  Restore or re-wrinkle or leave it be?

I might have a problem with notes being restored if it affects the value of my collection.  I think thats the bottom line.  How would it affect my collection.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:59:15 pm by OneTime »
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:42:54 am »

Don't clean or press notes is my suggestion every time.
To any virtually any collector above neophyte level, it is easy to detect processed notes.
They tend to be any or all of flat, stinky, oily, soapy, lacklustre, missing ink. etc.
A fold cannot be removed. Fibres are broken.
Even local pressing can be easily seen with proper light...
Just don't do it.
That said, if it's your note, you can certainly do whatever you like with it. What the hell, light your cigar with it (although smoking is bad for everyone)
Any yes, just as with lighting your cigar with it, a processed note's value will be affected greatly. It will be up in smoke.
Many collectors won't even buy a scare note if it is not original.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57:25 am »

I bought a $100 from 54 that had a name written in pencil on it.  I erased it.  The note looks a lot better.  I would imagine that no one would be able to tell that the name was erased unless they had a magnifying glass and were looking at exactly the right spot.

One thing you should know is that never be surprised just how closely some collectors will look at a note before they purchase it....this is why many collectors only by raw notes as opposed to slabbed ones....
If you could post a scan of the note you erased the signature on and not say where it was on the note I'm sure someone on the forum would be able to spot it....why not give it a try for fun....I think others may find this interesting  :)  Or am I the only one bored on this snowy day...

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:59:06 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:46 am »

I wouldn't base the idea of pressing a note on the fact that some collectors might not notice as many will. I know for myself I won't even consider a pressed note unless offered at face. Rule of thumb is the “KISS” theory. Leave the notes as they are is always the best thing to do. If a collection is built with common notes that are in terrible condition then go to town with cleaning them, really it won't make a difference. As for it affecting the value of such a collection? It's next to nothing as there is no value to begin with.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »

I guess to put mmars' question a different way:

If someone knew that they had a pressed note, found the creases and folds that were pressed out and then "reconstructed" the note by putting all of the pressed out folds and creases back in again -- should the note still be considered as pressed?

In my opinion, since a pressed note could never receive a technical grade higher than EF, putting the pressed-out creases back in again should have little or no impact on the technical grade.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:58:21 pm »

[edit]removed because there are not enough collectors to read it[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:59:09 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
jmc
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

No evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen... Like they say in the News/police report, they find no evidence of foul play (but doesn't mean foul play didn't occur).
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:17:24 am »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:59:46 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length