Author
Topic: Bank of Hamilton 1892 $20 specimen?  (Read 4509 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:22:06 pm »

What a shame.  This is not an issued note that was canceled, it's an impaired specimen.  It's like someone carried it around folded and crumpled up like an ordinary note.  The differences between issued notes, specimens and remainders are few and sure to create much confusion.

{http://www.give-a-buck.com/paper/chartered/345-16-06.jpg}

On a unrelated matter, this appears to be the note shown in the Charlton Canadian Bank Notes catalogue.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:27:02 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Bernie
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:07:30 am »

This is certainly a very nice note.

Usually specimens have the word "SPECIMEN" printed on it like the $10 in the same series. Most of the time they also have serial numbers consisting of all zeros. So why is your note not a remainder to which someone added the punch cancellations?

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »

I think a remainder for this issue would have to carry a sheet number since these numbers were printed by machine, not written by hand like earlier black-and-white chartered notes.  In fact, the 1892 Hamilton $20 in the Currency Collection has a sheet number, but it is overprinted SPECIMEN by the printer, Western Bank Note.  Remainders and specimens are both printed like regular notes, but they were never issued to be redeemable for face value.  Specimens used to be more collectible, but they have slid backwards in popularity while the market for issued notes has surged in the past 10+ years.

No hay banda  
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »

Very nice and interesting note, thanks for posting it.

KC's Canadian Currency
andrelus
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:03 pm »

wow i want this buck on my wall thanks for post

Login with username, password and session length