Author
Topic: $5 Journey Tint/Colour Variation Between BABN and CBN  (Read 5228 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:49 am »

The image below shows a portion of the front of the $5 journey note from prefix APZ and the similar portion from prefix HPZ.

There is clear difference in the colour/tint of the text towards the right side of the note. I have seen this often but only recently began to realize that the difference occurs between notes printed by BABN and CBN.

The difference in ink occurs across all of the right side (i.e. the flag on top part, the building title in the middle and the signature at the bottom).

IMHO it is too much of a noticeable variation to be a quality control thing. Is there somewhere I can find more information on it? Has it been discussed here before?

Thank you

Although the thumbnail does not show the link is clickable and takes you to the image

{http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3425/a5fr.jpg:http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3425/a5fr.th.jpg}

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:24:49 am »

Any collector will remind you that similar tint variations have occurred in the past, with the most blatant example being the 1954 series.  Initial notes were coloured very strong and vibrant, but as the series progressed, the colours became much more dull and muted.  I'm not aware of any specific changeover point, but I do know that this is an area that holds very little interest among paper money collectors.  The Charlton catalogue makes no distinction based on tint for any notes other than the 1974 $2 BC and BP notes which was backed up by documentation at the time and now has firm serial number ranges.

PS: You forgot to copy and paste the image code into your post.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »

but I do know that this is an area that holds very little interest among paper money collectors.  The Charlton catalogue makes no distinction based on tint for any notes other than the 1974 $2 BC and BP notes which was backed up by documentation at the time and now has firm serial number ranges.

PS: You forgot to copy and paste the image code into your post.

Thx for the response. I do realize that there are many areas that hold very little interest for paper money collectors. I am not always driven by what the community at large is interested in as much as curiosity about the different things that I see. I do realize and appreciate however that in such situations that there is very little help available.

In terms of the image I did copy and paste the image code. But when I go to the preview it shows a broken link. I tried a few times. This is the first time I have experienced it. I thought it was because of the resolution of the thumbnail image.

Although the thumbnail does not show the link still works.  :(

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

The Charlton catalogue makes no distinction based on tint for any notes other than the 1974 $2 BC and BP notes which was backed up by documentation at the time and now has firm serial number ranges.

This is an interesting pointer. Thx for that.

I looked at the Catalogue and I see the mention of this. Can anyone by any chance help point to the research that this is based on? That would be appreciated.

Also are there images of the 1974 $2 BC and BP modified and original tints that could be viewed publicly?

I noticed that the only way to distinguish these notes if I were looking to purchase them is to go equipped with the knowledge of the the serial numbers,  as the Cat. No. are the same for the two.

Login with username, password and session length