Author
Topic: What is actually confirmed and how is it confirmed by the Bank of Canada  (Read 2979 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

I have a few questions that I would be interested in finding the answers to...
When items are placed in the catalogue such as test notes ...is there actual confirmation by the Bank of Canada, and if so, how is that confirmation given...
I know some information can be found on the Bank of Canada website...but are all of the test notes listed in the catalogue confirmed as test notes by the Bank of Canada...and if so, how long after the fact do they acknowledge that test notes were printed and the quantity in which they were printed...
Also do they ever admit to what was actually being tested on the notes...ie ink, paper, etc.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:00 pm »

I cannot speak for Charlton Press or the Editor, but it is my personal belief that the information contained in the Charlton GPM catalogue is a blend of information obtained from the Bank of Canada and information based on reports from collectors of what they have come across in circulation.

From personal experience, the Bank tends to be rather cagey regarding most things, particularly test notes. I've found it difficult to get information the few times I've tried.

Also from personal experience, whenever I have submitted information to be included in the catalogue, it had to be backed up by a scan of the note or some other reliable evidence before it would be seriously considered. I expect the same holds true for all information that finds its way into the catalogue.

Once again, the above are my personal comments and opinions. They do not represent in any way the comments or opinions of the publisher or the editor.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:22:22 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length