Author
Topic: Consecutive Serial Numbers Canada Banknotes  (Read 17741 times)
coinsoldier
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:45:39 am »

Who collects Canada Banknotes with Consecutive Serial Numbers?
I find this is an interesting aspect of collecting Canada banknotes.
I also like finding radar bank notes.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:37 pm »

Who collects Canada Banknotes with Consecutive Serial Numbers?

IMO:
I don't know of any paper money collectors who actively seeks consecutive serial numbers unless its an acquisition of a run of notes which the collector typically wishes to sell off a few of the tail end of the run, (or to sell off a few notes which may be inferior in grade to help pay for the purchase).   It is much more common to see a dealer acquire runs of notes because they'll buy them at discount (and may even mark them up for the neophyte collector).  Some runs of modified 54's will sell for a premium but again- its a pretty tough sell for most collectors (like pushing a common $1000).  Most collectors I know demand a discount for consecutive notes, even if they're a change-over, insert or short prefix.

Today, its just too easy to get a run of inserts let alone regular issue.  We used to see radars and their "shoulder" notes which have become about as popular as "gold leaf" centennial notes (unless they're remarkable solids or 2 digit radars). 

Sometimes consecutive radars which aren't really consecutive numbers because they would match a pattern of:
1003001 -which jump in increments of 1000- are collected by the radar people.  Also, we've seen a lot of new interest in repeaters (& special numbers) though once again, they could be as popular as a "birthday" note, which has a very "select" audience.  :-*

The exception to this general observation (of luke warm desire for a consecutive run of BOC notes) is when one talks of Devil's Face, 1937 or 1935 (very uncommon).  There is the odd collector who may like consecutive asterisk replacements or test notes as these are seldom seen/offered (except for some of the more common prefixes such as *B/M) 

Whenever we see the rarer notes presented in consecutive runs- then it naturally piques our interest.  How many of us are actually wiling to pay a premium for rarer consecutive numbers is hard to say.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:34 am »

I know I'm going to be beaten down for this answer, but here goes nothing...

Some people seek out consecutively numbered notes in less than uncirculated condition because they can resell them profitably as Uncs.  They are preying on naive people who think consecutive must = uncirculated without exception.  So I really do not ascribe additional value to runs of consecutive notes, not even rare or older series.  You might find someone who will pay a premium for runs of uncirculated notes, but they are the exception, and runs tend to get broken into singles over time.  Other people focus on groups of notes because they believe there will be less competition, hence lower prices, and they can sell off the excess notes to subsidize their initial purchase (like the previous poster discussed).

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:35:06 pm »

IMO:
I don't know of any paper money collectors who actively seeks consecutive serial numbers unless its an acquisition of a run of notes which the collector typically wishes to sell off a few of the tail end of the run, (or to sell off a few notes which may be inferior in grade to help pay for the purchase).

I find it hard to believe that I am the only exception, but I collect consecutive notes,
like 0000001 - 0000010  Anyone have any...I will buy them cheap ;D I know how hard they are to get rid of.....with so few collectors that collect consecutive runs....

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:36:50 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »

...I collect consecutive notes, like 0000001 - 0000010  Anyone have any...I will buy them cheap  I know how hard they are to get rid of.....with so few collectors that collect consecutive runs....
-- in UNC or better...

Yeah we all know about that - maybe now that you've let it be known with this 5th post, your five month search for cheap consecutive LOW NUMBERED JOURNEY NOTES will bear fruit... :-D  I guess I went way off topic when I assumed the initial post/query was about the other 9,999,980 common notes out there (assuming that someone might be after the last ten too). 

Back on topic (I hope):
I find mmars post interesting since I have often noted how consecutive batches of RS test notes, ARX, and other Bird ($10 ADX) replacements offered on the online auctions seem to really dampen collector ardor for this type of collecting.  Or seeing a run of 10 Journey FEN, K/D FDZ, BEY,  or other commonly hoarded (yr or prefix) change-over listed on ebay make them become worth little over face.  Maybe I'm being naive in assuming that the pricing panel pays attention to stuff like that :-\

Perhaps these runs of perceived uncommon notes act as a REALITY  check for those seasoned collectors who pay attention to whats on the market.  Or, it may be just attracting dealers rather than collectors (collectors who would typically budget for one or two rare key notes needed vs a block of notes).  Again- it might boil down to quality over quantity.  Who knows? :-\

Then there are the odd auction of something really uncommon in a consecutive run - and that's when things get interesting (though I still firmly believe that the collector would probably get more money by auctioning rare notes separately).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:21:04 pm by walktothewater »

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:37 am »

Then there are the odd auction of something really uncommon in a consecutive run - and that's when things get interesting (though I still firmly believe that the collector would probably get more money by auctioning rare notes separately).

In all seriousness I agree with you. It was not that long ago that a newbie posted a large run of 1954 *NY notes in unc. Once seeing this you would tend to think that the price would reflect things like this. Not sure if that post has been deleted or not, but just couldn't seem to find it...

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:36:13 am »

You can find the info about the 2 *NY runs here

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=11185.0

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:46:00 am »

You can find the info about the 2 *NY runs here

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=11185.0

MG

Thanks I knew someone would find it :)

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:31:55 pm »

I'm sure that many of us were attracted to consecutive notes before the Internet and the hobby took off with plenty of auctions and with so many coin dealers turning to notes recently.   I started my collection with a few consecutive runs (1937 $1 and the * B/M $1 - luckily with no BPN) but my interest quickly waned after viewing what's out there on both the internet and at shows. 

I do believe that the Internet, and the public domain of info that it provides, has changed the landscape of what people collect.   

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »

General rule of thumb is this: where there is one uncirculated note, there's usually more.  I would have to say that the majority of uncirculated notes come from consecutive runs.  Using simple logic, all notes start their existence as part of a larger cycle.  Circulation very quickly breaks up consecutive notes, but there are examples of older series of notes where a consecutive pair in grades like F or VF can be found.  So it's intuitive that higher grade notes tend to occur in bunches.  Finding out which note types are really rare in Unc can be key to a fruitful investment.  A good example is 1912 $5 train notes.  Certain types are much more common in Unc than others because of runs of Unc notes being reported.  Read the "Tip for collectors" section on page 160 of the Charlton catalogue.  Another good example is the 1937 $1,000 where almost half the population claims to be Unc.  Finally, as if I need mention this again, there's the really absurd example of the Bank of Commerce $5 Wedd note where 11 notes are known, 8 coming from sheets that were cut into singles, hence 72% of the population is Unc.  A healthy supply of Uncs really holds down the value in all grades.

With respect to the pricing panel, I doubt rarity plays a significant role in determining price.  In fact, I'm pretty sure a few of the members just check their inventory before deciding what should go up in price.  I've said it before (much to my own detriment), but I'll say it again.  The price of 1935 $2 and $5 French notes is way too high in low and middle grades and they surged in CV right around the time numbers of them were being dumped on the open market.

No hay banda  
coinsoldier
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:39 pm »

Everything said, I still like to collect consecutive banknotes.
the more in sequence the better.
I do this for my own enjoyment not as an investment.
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »

I like to collect uncirculated consecutive serial numbers - at least 3 if possible. Off the top of my head, I've got a run of 3 modified portrait 5s, 5 1971 $10 notes, a run of 4 Birds 10's, a run of 3 polymer $100 notes (all I could afford), a run of 4 Birds 20's, a few runs of Journey 10s and 20s (including 3 EYG0.315M-0.405M (Yippee!)).

I think they make a welcome addition to a collection while, if you excuse the expression, not breaking the bank.  :D

John

Paper Money is Art!
tmort
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

We are fairly new to collecting bank notes, but I find collecting sequential notes is my favorite. Not necessarily new notes, as you don't have to look too hard to get a run of notes. But getting some older notes in sequence, because it is pretty tough to find, is a fun part of the hobby. I prefer this to any other type of note....radar, ladder etc.

CPMS member

Login with username, password and session length