Author
Topic: Front Plate/Back Plate #'s - New Printing Process  (Read 4926 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: October 28, 2004, 02:45:22 am »

I have went through numerous 2004 $20 Journey Series Notes and I have noticed that the Canadian Bank Note Company (CBN) and the British American Bank Note Company (BABN) are now printing their notes every 1,000 sheets versus every 500 sheets.  

The reason being is that the AY_ prefix and EY_ prefixes, from serial numbers ...001 to ...999 all have the same front plate and back plate numbers.

It's seems that this is the new norm on the printing process for both printing firms.

Has this phenomenon been notices on the other Journey Series Notes besides the new $20s?  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 01:06:58 am »

Hello bc_collect,  ;D

You are very knowledgeable in the field of Front Plate and Back Plate numbers on modern Canadian bank notes and I have a question....

Is it common practice for the bank note printers to use the same front plate and back plate numbers for two different prefixes?

For example, with all the insert notes that have been discovered in their original respective brick of notes, we have learned that they will have the same front and back plate numbers with the regular notes of that brick.

Is it possible to have two different prefix notes that are regular issue notes but yet, have the same front plate and back plate numbers?   If so, the possibility of seeing this must be close to zero because of all the various possibilites (99 different front plate number x 99 different back plate numbers x the various different prefixes)....  :P

Thanks,
Coinsplus  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 01:22:29 am by coinsplus »

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 05:45:08 am »

From my observations going through the numerous uncirculated $20 Journey Series notes, it seems to me that the Canadian Bank Note and British American Bank Note Printers are printing 10,000 notes (10 bricks) at a time (with same front plate and back plate numbers), instead of the initial 500 notes or 1,000 notes first thought.  

The reason for this theory is that I have noticed notes that are 1,000 to a maximum of 10,000 notes apart and they feature back plate numbers and front plate numbers which are identical.  

For example, an EYJ note with serial number EYJ6410000 will have front plate #27, back plate number #40.  And yet, an EYJ6419999 will have idential front plate and back plate numbers.  

Thus, I believe that the printers are now incorporating new printing techniques for printing the notes than we have previously seen .   ;D

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 02:05:57 pm »

I posted back in the Spring about noticing this with AYJ I beleive. It should be posted somewhere under ODD bp#'s or something like that. The post is probably still available.
Mike_L
  • So many pretty colours!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 08:09:04 pm »

I just received

AHA 5957744 and
AHA 5958783

from different banks.  Since they both have fp 71, bp 83, can we conclude that Journey's 50's are also being printed in runs of at least 2500 at a time (2000 at a time would put these notes in different runs)?
Mike_L
  • So many pretty colours!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 05:37:55 pm »

I just compiled a list of the plate numbers of my Journey's 5's.

It looks fairly conclusive that since AOB, BABN 5's have been printed with 25,000 consecutive notes getting the same front and back plate numbers.  The numbering appears consistent across all prefixes AOB-AOF.

In answer to coinplus's question, the plate number assignments for CBN 5's have been consistent at least from HNB-HOA (I don't have any HOB or HOC's).  For CBN 5's there are only 40 different plate number combinations.  If anyone is interested, I have a list of which serial numbers correspond to which plates.

Mike
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 07:57:39 pm »

Perhaps you might want to get in contact with some of the contributors to the Canadian Paper Money Society Newsletter and collaborate your findings with them on the subject.  There has been a great deal of similar research done in the past, not specifically with $5s, I don't think, but certainly with $20s, and perhaps $10s.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length