Author
Topic: Coatings on newly released banknotes  (Read 6631 times)
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:36:26 am »

As an avid Willier (one who tracks Canadian currency), the introduction of a coating on the $5s and $10s back in 2005 presented a few challenges as far as marking and stamping was concerned.

Recently I have noticed that the CBN issues appear to have varying degrees of coating on them or in some cases none at all.  Have they decided to save a few bucks and skip this step for the 2011 notes and does anyone know which prefix they stopped at?

I thought I was the only one who noticed this subtle change but apparently other bill trackers have picked up on it and are asking the same questions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:38:43 am by Rag Picker »

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:50 am »

Just to follow up on my earlier post, it does appear that all the $5 Hxx series banknotes are being printed without the final step of adding the lacquer.  looks like the BOC either isn't concerned about extending their lifespan or is trying to save a few bucks prior to the release of the Polymer $5s in 2013 or 2014.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »

I don't know about the Bank of Canada trying to save money by bypassing the lacquering of new CBN $5 notes.  The median lifespan of a $5 note in circulation is 6 months, while the polymer notes are not due to be out for at least 18 months...

However, I think you're on to something regarding a fundamental difference between CBN and BAI upgraded $5 notes.  The BAI notes have a thicker layer of lacquer BUT that layer does not cover 100% of the note surface.  There is a lacquerless gutter (channel?) around the holographic strip on the face.  If you hold a note up to light at an angle, you can see the differences in sheen around the strip which itself is covered with a polymer(?) layer.  The gutter measures about 15-16 mm wide and varies in position around the holographic strip from one note to the next.  The strip itself is 11 mm wide, so there's about 2.0 to 2.5 mm of gutter on each side of the strip.  I tried to take a picture of the differences in sheen to show the gutter on a BAI $5 note.  Here is the best I could do...

{http://www.give-a-buck.com/special/BAI-lacquer.jpg}

I compared this to a CBN $5 note, prefix HAB, and found the note has no gutter around the holographic strip.  Just like its BAI counterparts, there is a protective coating on the strip itself, but no lacquerless zones around it.  The HAB note feels less slick, but it doesn't feel dry like unprotected paper.  I think there is a thinner coating of lacquer but that coating covers 100% of the note, meaning the holographic strip is printed over it.

Recalling that BAI started printing upgraded $5 notes without a thick lacquer coating in prefixes AOF and AOG, I pulled out my small stash of Unc AOF notes and had a closer look at them.  There appears to be a gutter around the holographic strip, but the gutter is narrower, barely wider that the strip itself.  Wish I could get a picture of this, but I don't have good enough equipment (or skills for that matter) to produce an image worthy of posting.  So maybe it's kind of a misnomer to call the early BAI $5 notes "lacquerless".  There just appears to be less of it on those early prefixes.

The differences between the CBN and BAI $5 notes presents a conundrum.  Does this mean there are two suppliers of security paper supplying each company?  Or is there one supplier making two kinds of paper?  Or are the banknote printers applying lacquer coatings themselves?  This deserves further investigation.  I wish I could be of more help, but CBN $5 notes are still sparse in Eastern Ontario.  They appear to be more abundant in Southern Ontario and on the west coast.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:34:14 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »

A $5 only lasts 6 months in circulation? That is a surprisingly short time. Do you have a reference for that?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:26:45 pm »

A $5 only lasts 6 months in circulation? That is a surprisingly short time. Do you have a reference for that?

If you are looking for a detailed report on life span of paper and poylmer here is a link...

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Life-Cycle-Assessment-of-Polymer-and-Cotton-Paper-Bank-Notes_opt.pdf

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
abyss
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:44:10 pm »

If you are looking for a detailed report on life span of paper and poylmer here is a link...

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Life-Cycle-Assessment-of-Polymer-and-Cotton-Paper-Bank-Notes_opt.pdf

Thank god it is a long weekend.  I will need 3 days to read this :)
ABYSS
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:32 pm »

Thanks, friedsquid.

On page 65 of that doc it states the lifetime of a typical $5 note is not 6 months, but 12-24 months. That covers the time between now and when the polymer $5s will be introduced. So it's not unreasonable to speculate that the strengthening coating on current $5s is being dropped.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:21:39 am »

OK, I stand corrected.  Don't know why 6 months always jumps to mind when I think of the lifespan of low denomination notes...  It just seems like the turnover is that fast  ;)

Speculation is all very nice, but if any new BAI-printed $5 notes are released, we should have a clearer picture of what is going on.  Currently, the last BAI prefix is AAT and it is printed in 2009, while all of the new CBN $5 prefixes are printed in 2010 or 2011.  So there's no overlap in time for issues of both printers.  The savings from using less lacquer would be offset by the greater number of notes needed to fill the gap in time until the polymer notes are released.  I would think that having more durable notes in that time period would mitigate any potential problems from currency shortages that may arise.

No hay banda  
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:24 am »

According to the BEP in the U.S. they can magically ;) make a dollar bill last up to 42 months and that's without any coatings.  The comment is made about 5:15 into the following video which I'm sure many of you may have already seen. 

http://www.coinweek.com/news/modern-coins/ana-press-conference-united-states-mint/

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:06 pm »

The US hasn't done anything to strengthen the paper of $1 notes recently. Rather, they have upgraded the machinery that detects the fitness of a circulated bill to return to circulation. So many notes that were being selected for shredding before are now being recirculated.

The BoC seems to have much higher standards when it comes to deciding when a bill should be shredded. Rarely have I seen a Canadian note in the limp, shabby shape that is the condition of most of the US $1 notes that I encounter. If the BoC dropped its standards to US levels I wouldn't be surprised to see Canadian $5 notes circulating for 42 months either.

Login with username, password and session length