Author
Topic: Different rates at gas bars?  (Read 3477 times)
Tom-Bear
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »

I've just returned from a trip out west, and found that they give .05/litre in CT money from Thunder Bay and west. Yet here in southern Ontario I can put, say, $60.00 in the tank and get a total of only about fifteen cents in CT money. I've asked the attendants about this difference, but of course they cannot explain why this is so. I'm curious to know why we seem to get short-changed here compared to the west!
I did pick up a fair bit of CT money on my trip, but none of it is special, though.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:38:52 pm »

You consider Thunder Bay the west?   ::)

But seriously, it doesn't really matter what rate they give because they don't accept CT money on gas purchases, right? I have not gone to a CT gas bar in years.  I like paying by credit card, and they give no CT money for that.  Also, the CT station nearest to me always seems to be more expensive than the other gas bars (Petro Canada, Esso, Shell), so getting CT money for a cash purchase of gas just offsets the higher cost of the gas.  The stores are also giving out very little CT money.  I've made purchases in the $20 range and received 5 cents in coupons.  Too bad they stopped printing 3 cent coupons years ago or they would probably give those out instead.  Obviously, the people with CT credit cards are getting all the CT money, usually 10x more than you'd get even for a cash purchase.

At the rate I'm collecting CT money, when I retire I'll have enough to buy a roll of duct tape so I can wrap it around my head and not see how I'm getting ripped off.

And, like I need to point this out (I don't), but CT "money" is not money, it's coupons because it cannot be exchanged for cash.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:44:49 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Tom-Bear
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:02 pm »

Actually I had gone all the way out to Calgary! :)
With the nickel a litre deal, the CT gas bar price was effectively lower than the other stations. Anyway, I always seem to need something or other from CT.
I very rarely if ever use my credit card, for two reasons. First, I don't like leaving electronic tracks everywhere I spend money, and secondly of course, I am always hoping to get an interesting note in  my change ;D

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »

At the rate I'm collecting CT money, when I retire I'll have enough to buy a roll of duct tape so I can wrap it around my head and not see how I'm getting ripped off.
I suggest you speed up your collecting...at 96 years old you likely don't have much time left :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mctire
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

Hi,

Glad you had a tour out west.  Yes, the standard bonus is 5 cents per liter in Canadian tire money West of Thunder Bay.  This began in November 2002 in some Western locations.  If I buy 60 liters of gas I will get $3.00 in Canadian Tire money.  The equivalent out east would be for you to use a 12x multiplier.  The reason you got only 15 cents in the East is because they use multiplier coupons which you have to get from the store before you go to the gas bar.  With a 10x multiplier you would have got $1.50 instead of 15 cents as an example.  when I go East of Thunder Bay I stop in the store for a multiplier before gassing up, in this case Sarnia would be the closest one after Thunder Bay.  I am in Saskatoon.
Louis

Login with username, password and session length