Author
Topic: Large vs. Extra Large Battleship Notes ~ Research Started  (Read 3947 times)
jrb565
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »

Does anyone know of any research that has been done regarding the variability in size of chartered bank notes?  In particular, I've started gathering data on the 1913 Royal Bank $5 Battleship note and have noticed 2 distinct sizes of notes... 180mm and 185mm notes each with proportionately different sized battleship vignettes.  At first I thought it was just a difference in the originally cutting or trimming, but after measuring a few samples, there appears to be 2 different plates.

If you have a battleship note, could you send me the following information:
- outside, horizontal measurement of note across the face in mm
- horizontal measurement of the note from the outermost edge of the right and left frames (just in case the note was trimmed)
- serial number and plate letter
- printer (ABNC or CBNC?)
- signature combination (Neill/Holt or Misc/Holt)

On a relatively small sample size, it appears that the lower serial numbered notes (under 2000000) have the larger sized vignette on the larger 185mm paper.

Please email any information you might have to james.belke@shaw.ca and it will contribute towards an article that I am writing for the CPMS newsletter.

Thank you.

jrb565

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »

How is your research going on this subject

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length