Author
Topic: First look at the new $100s  (Read 28446 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:42:02 pm »

i picked up ten of them today from Scotiabank main commercial branch in downtown Vancouver. Very nice looking notes.

EKB6998876-80
EKB6998893, 95-98

All of them have FP and BP 22.
No "Printed in" year appears on the notes.

When can we enter them into the SNDB? The SNDB still says it's only for Journey series notes.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:04 pm »

The SNDB should be ready to accept these notes within a day or two - Please be patient and keep your serial numbers and position numbers handy!

The lack of a printed in year is a slight complication.  Is there an issue date on the notes?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »

yes 2011

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »

I started searching for them at 8 this morning. None of the main branches on Bay St. had them.

Decided to go to class, then realized the MaRS centre was just down the street. Saw the BoC had all their stuff setup, and decided to try my luck at the RBC branch there. They told me they had them, but would only release them after the official ceremony. So I went and grabbed lunch, and went back to the MaRS centre to watch the ceremony. Got a pretty decent view even though I didn't have a pass. The BoC had a pretty cool stand showing the bills submerged in a variety of substances, and had shreds, as well as the notes in their recycled pellet state on show.

I saw a BoC rep with an EKZ prefix one, while the others on display were EKAs.

At 1:30, I got these from the MaRS RBC branch.
EKC8288593 FP/BP 42
EKC8384860-63 FP/BP 35

Then down the street at University/Dundas RBC:
EKC8433178-97 FP/BP 22

Scotia Plaza:
EKB1272747-48 FP/BP 27
EKB1416501-03 FP/BP 07
EKB1432813 FP/BP 09

Royal Bank Plaza:
EKC8576404 FP/BP 02

Just stunning notes in person. One of the best uses of the transparent features of polymer to date IMO. It didn't take a banknote geek like me to get giddy over them, my friends and colleagues who I showed it to shared the same kind of excitement seeing them for the first time. I also spent one at dinner and for the first time, I've actually seen a cashier happy to take a $100 bill!

EDIT: On a side note, I wonder how the grading standards for this bill will be. All of the notes in my possession have some kind of scratches or scuffs on the holographic part of the plastic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:57:45 pm by CA_Banknotes »
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »

Interesting how all of the FP and BP numbers match on each note so far!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:33:49 pm »

The Serial Number Database is now able to accept notes from the new Frontiers series!  Please enter them the same as you normally would any other note.

The main page has been reformatted slightly to accommodate the new series.

Please note that the SNDB may have to adapt in the next few days or weeks as we discover more about the new notes.

THANK YOU to CA_Banknotes for diligently obtaining a variety of notes and reporting their details.  I have added your notes and Seth's notes to the SNDB and they have been each credited to you.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:34:25 pm »

My Notes

EKB 7725305 FP/BP 23

EKC 8384868  FP/BP 27
EKC 8408268-74 FP/BP 38
EKC 8504542 FP/BP 12

EKD 1727166-73 FP/BP 19

EKZ 9575993-4 FP/BP 09

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:44 pm »

anyone go through any consecutives to see if there are replacements?

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »

Could not get a bundle :(
The Banks would only give out a few notes, as their supply is limited for the first few days

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:10 pm »

cool, ill check mine when it comes in.

JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:48:10 am »

The holographic images are wonderful, but I guess the days of George Gundersen and Gordon Yorke are long gone as there's not much intaglio printing on it, is there?

Anyone get to see the invisible numbers in the maple leaf yet? The office has only florescent lights and I couldn't see them. (Or maybe a trip to the optometrist is in order???)

John

Paper Money is Art!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

I got my first batch of new $100s this afternoon... I think the notes are great and I'm happy to have them, but my main complaint is that the Bank could have done more with the note... There are lots of areas where the note is essentially blank. The back also gives me the impression that the various design elements are just "clip art" and not part integrated into a single, cohesive design.

The big maple leaf with the hidden numbers so far is a bust. I acknowledge that I haven't used a proper single-point light source, but there's not even a hint of anything going on there so far.

I've designated one of my notes as a sacrificial "touch it, feel it, wreck it" note that can be passed around and played with. So far, coworkers have tried tearing it, crumpling it, etc. Nobody has succeeded in ripping into it yet, but it's showing its scars!  The intaglio ink seems easy to rub off, so I assume that in no time we'll be seeing some extreme examples of this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:52:08 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
CLRV4037
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »

The the hidden number feature in the maple leaf works best in a darker setting.  Have a look through it if you're a passenger in a car going through a city at night.
suretteda
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »

CTV's Notes

EKA 5665917

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/tl/photo.html?pname=http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20111114/800_new_100_plastic_bill_cp_111114.jpg&win_width=995.0&description

Martine Warren, a scientific adviser for the Bank of Canada has a close look at the bank's new circulating $100 bill, Canada's first polymer bank note, in Toronto on Monday Nov. 14, 2011. (Nathan Denette / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
twoplustwo
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

Not sure if it's my scanner (Brother model printer/copier/scanner), but it just will not scan one of these bills.  It stops the scanning process whenever it gets to the clear part of the bill each and every time!  Curious if anyone else's scanner is doing the same thing.  Security feature?

Very nice bills though!

Login with username, password and session length