Author
Topic: First look at the new $100s  (Read 28511 times)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »

My Notes:

EKD 1816597 to 1816614

Five of my notes have a small "ink error"

http://imageshack.us/f/546/scan0001hi.jpg/
*Look to the left of the person's sleeve on the note
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:47:43 pm by 1971HemiCuda »

twoplustwo
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 04:57:34 pm »

Well I guess that answers that..  Looks like you had no problems scanning that bill HemiCuda
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

I had no problems. My scanner is a few years old so I guess it doesn't have the program on it that stops you from scanning new bank notes.

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 05:34:25 pm »

just got some new notes today and here are a few details

when the note goes through the counter that is supposedly "polymer ready"  it leaves scape marks on the notes where the window is.  Very noticeable.  Also there is a mark where the notes are run through.  will show a picture later to show you.

More to follow.  If you want another tidbit I found, email me at polar888ca(at)yahoo(dot)ca

cheers

Polarbear
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »

When the note goes through the counter that is supposedly "polymer ready"  it leaves scape marks on the notes where the window is.
My notes have these as well, I assumed it was from the printing process.

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »

look on the  bottom or top of the notes near the middle.  Does it have little lines through them about an eighth of an inch.  That was from the counter.  i was lucky to get some that were not through the counter and are crisp and clean windows.

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »

I'm thinking the BoC might have some work to do on these notes. The polymer holograms scratch off too easily, running them through a counter seems to scratch the hologram all the way through. One teller I encountered ran them through 5 or 6 times and like 15% of the holographic material has been scratched off

The intaglio seems to rub off way too easily. It's nowhere near as thick and pronounced as the intaglio on Australian and most other polymer notes I have.

And the maple leaf window feature is a definite flop. I asked the BoC rep how to check the feature and she recommended using the flashlight on an iPhone 4. Spent an hour testing different lights and couldn't find it. What's the point of a security feature if it can't be easily checked?
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 05:59:36 pm »

On a side note, I got my first bundle from a small RBC branch downtown. The girl was in a good mood and they has lots for such a small branch. She laughed and shared my disgust that the main branch was still limiting people to 1 note (as of 1PM this afternoon.)

What's also odd about this issue is that I'm getting jumbled up notes (i.e. non consecutive) everywhere. Even the bundle I have with a BoC wrapper isn't fully consecutive, but the ranges are so close that the deviating notes can't be inserts.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:06:17 pm by CA_Banknotes »
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »

look on the  bottom or top of the notes near the middle.  Does it have little lines through them about an eighth of an inch.

The notes do not have any lines at the bottom.

rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »

I am not seeing anything with my black light on these notes.  Anyone else?

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »

Not sure if it's my scanner (Brother model printer/copier/scanner), but it just will not scan one of these bills.  It stops the scanning process whenever it gets to the clear part of the bill each and every time!  Curious if anyone else's scanner is doing the same thing.  Security feature?

Very nice bills though!

It's very likely the software you are using. Many common commercial image editing software (i.e. Photoshop) won't allow bank notes to be scanned. Try a different program.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »

And the maple leaf window feature is a definite flop. I asked the BoC rep how to check the feature and she recommended using the flashlight on an iPhone 4. Spent an hour testing different lights and couldn't find it. What's the point of a security feature if it can't be easily checked?

You need to use a bright, small point of light surrounded by darkness. The smaller and brighter, and the darker the area around the light source, the better the effect. You need to hold the note right up to your face, as close to your eye as possible, as you look through it.

Try a distant street lamp at night, or a pinhole in a sheet of aluminum foil in front of a bright lamp. That should do the trick.

For a few years I've had a pair of novelty glasses that do the same thing - make Santa Clauses appear around small bright lights.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:04:15 pm by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 07:17:42 pm »

I am not seeing anything with my black light on these notes.  Anyone else?
Same. No UV features.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:21 pm »

I echo some of the earlier comments regarding the lack of vibrancy, artistic detail and minimal intaglio printing.  I don't see how the hidden numbers will be of much help in a business enviroment and not everyone is going to stand in a dark room with a penlight looking for the numbers.  All I was able to make out was blurry colours and vauge numbers but they are there.  Sent a brief email to the BOC expressing my dissapointment and not expecting that I'll get much of a reply.  Thought it was worth a try if it helps with the remainder of the series.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:17:42 pm by Rag Picker »

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:50 pm »

Saw

EKD 0455914 33/33
EKK 8589691 03/03
EKD 4077923 36/36

Also saw EKAs and other prefixes as well but didn't have a chance to copy down info. Will try again another day

Was allowed to go  through about 7 bundles and got a radar, will post later.

EKA 6028206 17 17
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:13:42 am by Wizard1 »

Login with username, password and session length