Author
Topic: First look at the new $100s  (Read 28516 times)
OneTime
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:28 pm »

I love these new bills.  Futuristic, high tech looking, and yet so familiar.

Love the tribute to Canadian medicine on them.

A lot of great work, engineering, creativity, and science, went into these notes.  Good job!!!  Its something to be proud of.

I will enjoy seeing the next notes in the series.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:53 pm »

I wonder if there are actually JHS notes.  I was viewing a few videos and pausing them trying to get a view of the serial numbers.  It looks like the sheets are printed with the 5X8 format.

Shawn

The videos I have seen show 5x9 sheets.

A journalist was able to get a Journey $5 with prefix JHS at a media-only event when those bills were first launched. See here: http://www.icollector.com/images/1072/14959/14959_0985a_1_lg.jpg

So they do exist.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:10:01 pm by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »

A journalist was able to get a Journey $5 with prefix JHS at a media-only event when those bills were first launched. So they do exist.

Do you know this first hand as fact (have you seen one), or is this just what someone told you.
I know the posters show the JHS prefix, but no one I know has personally verified
a JHS prefix.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:17 am »

Do you know this first hand as fact (have you seen one), or is this just what someone told you.

Does this convince you?

{http://www.icollector.com/images/1072/14959/14959_0985a_1_lg.jpg}

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:06 am »

Does this convince you?

I am already aware of this particular note as it is recorded in the catalogue.
I thought what you were saying is that there was one found in the new $100 polymer series.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:11 pm »

I thought what you were saying is that there was one found in the new $100 polymer series.

Oh, no; that's not what I meant. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was since a $5 with that serial number exists, it stands to reason that $100s with that prefix also physically exist, even if only internally.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »

I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me, but it seems if you tilt the notes in bright light on the backside, you can see a square over the image of the microscope. It doesn't glow under UV light, nor does it show in infrared light.

I couldn't see what you were talking about at first, but I can see the square now under the right light. I wonder what's going on there.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

Is it necessary to share Mr Weisgerber's personal information like that?

And I don't understand why it is reasonable to assume that JHS notes exist for different denominations.  Internal test notes could have any prefix...

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »

Is it necessary to share Mr Weisgerber's personal information like that?

If Mr. Weisgerber didn't want his "personal information" shared with the public, he wouldn't have shared it with the public.

Let a forum moderator remove the image if it is deemed inappropriate.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:19:18 pm by Seth »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

Way back on topic  ::), but I got their last one hundred polymer note at a Burlington TD branch only this past Thurs (so they're obviously popular after all the hype).   

My first look at the $100
IMO:
I got to say that the first thing that strikes me (other than the fact they're so very light in weight/ extremely thin) is how dull they are.  I really like the window, the holograms, some of the design changes, but overall the colour is very muted with no bright spots other than the obverse "100" marker.  The colour is very drab.  I miss the coat of arms too.  Maybe my expectations were too high but I prefer the $100 paper version. 

I was hoping they'd try to make them a little thicker than they are (just for money machines and general handling).  I see problems with these down the road (when you have to handle a lot of the smaller denominations $5, $10, $20) unless they make changes to overall design.  I hope they put the coat of arms in the hologram instead of the spooky figurehead faces. The Peace Tower is nice but one figurehead face is enough.  Where the heck is their sense of tradition?

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »

The Peace Tower is nice

Sigh...  :-[

I understand it's an honest mistake, but it's not the Peace Tower. It's the East Block tower.

I agree about the drabness of the bill. The Journey series $100 was better but not by much IMO.  I thought the Birds $100 was awful. Perhaps brown is a hard colour to make vibrant. Hopefully the rest of the Frontier denominations will look a little better.

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »

Sigh...  :-[

I understand it's an honest mistake, but it's not the Peace Tower. It's the East Block tower.

I agree about the drabness of the bill. The Journey series $100 was better but not by much IMO.  I thought the Birds $100 was awful. Perhaps brown is a hard colour to make vibrant. Hopefully the rest of the Frontier denominations will look a little better.
I would have preferred a little more contrast between the background and intaglio printing. On the new note, it seems to be muddled together. At least on the Journey 100s, the intaglio printing is more 3D and contrasted from the background, making it a livelier note overall. There were also a few more subtle shades of brown and different background colours in the Journey 100. The BoC could have done a better job making the background a little more artistic.

I'm not holding out much hope for the 50s either, seeing from the Bank of Canada B-Roll tape where you can see an actual note. It looks to be more pink than the red we're used to on the Journey 50s.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:42:46 pm by CA_Banknotes »
moneycow
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »

And I don't understand why it is reasonable to assume that JHS notes exist for different denominations.  Internal test notes could have any prefix...

If you ever have a chance to see the book "The Art and Design of Canadian Banknotes" you will see there are multiple demoniations/concept notes bearing this unique JHS serial number.
JB-2007
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2011, 07:58:11 pm »

If i recall back in 2004 when the Journey 100 note was released there was one note that had JPH prefix, is that possible? Was it ever released into private hands?
Raven
  • “Money IS the root of all evil.”
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »

Login with username, password and session length