Author
Topic: What happens if the polymer goes in the dryer?  (Read 5502 times)
cdn_guy
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »

Anyone willing to sacrifice one of their own to find out.. of course 'by accident'
So we heard that they will wash ok.. what about a high temp dry? Will the note melt into a ball - would that still be accepted at the bank?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »

Huffington Post reports:

"Senior Bank of Canada officials say they're confident the new notes won't melt in the dryer or harden in the winter."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06/21/plastic-money-canada_n_881053.html#s295483&title=Twitter_reaction_to

The article I linked YET AGAIN refers to Parliament Hill's East Block south tower as "The Peace Tower".  >:(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:53:27 pm by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:53:16 am »

I recall some time ago Brent trying a regular note in a microwave oven, with disastrous results.

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15:47 am »

yeah, it crackled and sparked on the holographic strip and basically peeled it off the paper in about 25 pieces. Kinda cool, but I wasn't going to let it run another second or it may well have caught fire.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
uscanuck1ca
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:51:43 am »

I just read in a coin forum that someone put their new polymer $100 in a microwave for 6 seconds and I quote, "Only the see through strip shrunk. the rest of the bill was still good. I thought maybe I would see lightning flashs from it, but nothing spectacular happened. Exchanged it at bank for a new one, the tellers had a laugh."

I just thought I would share so someone here wouldn't have to sacrifice theirs!  :)

Login with username, password and session length