Author
Topic: eBay Listings and Sales  (Read 4757 times)
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »

Some comments related to auction listings of the polymer $100s:

1. A majority of the sellers do not identify prefixes or show back side of notes.
2. Many sellers do not properly describe grade - NEW and 'fresh from pack' do not mean UNC.
3. Many prices are too high for currently available banknotes.  (US$140 - $160)
4. Many listings have a 'returns not accepted' provision.

Of three polymer $100s I have received, one, described as NEW, had a 2" sharp diagonal crease on the left edge (no external damage to envelope), and another, identified as prefix EKE by seller to a direct inquiry, was received as EKB.

It appears many sellers with little or no knowledge of currency are trying to make quick bucks off the current 'polymer release hype'.  I also expect that later releases of newer prefixes will get little exposure on the auction sites (similar to later Jenkins-Dodge and Jenkins-Carney $100s).

blumax
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:36:47 pm »

Many sellers do not properly describe grade - NEW and 'fresh from pack' do not mean UNC.
I agree with you 100%... many times new sealed bricks do contain notes that although are uncirculated,  are not in unc condition when it comes to grading them. Everthing from corner creases, band/strap marks and tears, ripples, machine marks, etc. I have many a time received a new sealed brick that I'm sure fell off the pallet at the distribution center and was used to play football with...It's the only excuse I can see when I get some of these bricks :(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »

Here is a reminder...

EBay charges a flat rate Final Value Fee of 9% to sellers who are not Stores sellers.  That is in addition to listing fees, PayPal fees, FVFs on shipping, and currency exchange fees (if applicable).  Selling a $100 note on eBay costs a seller up to $15 before they see any profit.  If you insist on buying your $100 notes using eBay, then this is your reality.

I could get some new $100 notes and put them on a cheaper auction site like ebid.net, but I don't bother because I know nobody will buy them there.  It's eBay or bust with a lot of buyers, even when it costs them more.

No hay banda  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »

EBay charges a flat rate Final Value Fee of 9% to sellers who are not Stores sellers.  That is in addition to listing fees, PayPal fees, FVFs on shipping, and currency exchange fees (if applicable).  Selling a $100 note on eBay costs a seller up to $15 before they see any profit.

-This is what turns some collectors off on collecting high denominations (like $100 or $1000 notes).

As of today (Dec 6/2011) there are 22 polymer $100 notes listed ranging (approx) from $115 - $140

I can understand a few international (desperate) buyers going through ebay for this note but I can't understand why a Cdn collector wouldn't just walk into his/her bank to get one. Of the 22, none have special serial numbers (radars) & appear to be regular run-of-the-mill polymer notes.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »

but I can't understand why a Cdn collector wouldn't just walk into his/her bank to get one.

I think a lot depends on where you live ...the banks in our area didn't get the new notes for almost 2 weeks after the release date....and the ones the TD had were already circulated. In fact, the one note I got had someones grocery list on it....milk, eggs, & tomatoes in friggin black permanent marker.

I also think that not all people buying $100 notes are collectors...some just want the novelty and probably don't realize that they can just go to a bank and ask for one..

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »

-This is what turns some collectors off on collecting high denominations (like $100 or $1000 notes).

As of today (Dec 6/2011) there are 22 polymer $100 notes listed ranging (approx) from $115 - $140

I can understand a few international (desperate) buyers going through ebay for this note but I can't understand why a Cdn collector wouldn't just walk into his/her bank to get one. Of the 22, none have special serial numbers (radars) & appear to be regular run-of-the-mill polymer notes.

It's hard to get Canadian $100s from my local banks in Florida.  Special serial numbers are not required if you collect prefixes.  At least with $1000s (birds) there are only 3 prefix/signature types to obtain.

blumax

Login with username, password and session length