Author
Topic: $50 notes  (Read 3512 times)
Farmor
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »

Several years ago when I first became interested in collecting, I purchased both a 1937 and 1954 $50 bill from the same seller on line.  Both his bills were laminated, which didn't seem like a bad thing at the time.  Now however, I don't know what to do with these two bills.  Any suggestions?  I don't know if it is possible to remove laminate from items without damaging them. 
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:59 pm »

Unless the notes you have are really special, the laminating has removed pretty much all premium from them. They are already damaged now, and any attempt to remove the laminate would make things worse; possibly even to the point of an inability to get even face value for them.

If you want to get rid of them my advice is to deposit them at your bank.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:35 am »

Some laminates have a glue residue others do not.
If they were mine I would try to remove the 1954 $50 note first (assuming it's nothing special) At least that will give you an idea what your working with.
You will always get at least face value for the notes and if not from a collector, or the bank, the BOC will give you face value for sure. Check out their website.
You could also just sell them on Ebay...I'm sure someone will grab them if your not ridiculously priced....if people buy shredded notes, why not laminated ones  :)

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length