Author
Topic: Release Day for $50 Polymer?  (Read 24231 times)
suretteda
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »

Bank of Canada Issues $50 Polymer Bank Note

Ottawa, Ontario - Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney today officially announced the new $50 polymer bank note’s entry into circulation, during an event at the Canadian Coast Guard’s Québec port facility. These new notes will be available at financial institutions from coast to coast to coast starting today.

Governor Carney was joined at the event by Shelly Glover, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance; Marc Grégoire, Commissioner of the Canadian Coast Guard; and Louis Fortier, Scientific Director of ArcticNet.

The front of the new $50 note features a portrait of Sir William Lyon Mackenzie King, while the back depicts the Arctic research icebreaker CCGS Amundsen, in port during the ceremony, as well as other imagery that reflects Canada’s commitment to Arctic research and the development and protection of northern communities. Most importantly, the new $50 bill, like the rest of the polymer series, features a unique combination of state-of-the-art security features, making them the most secure bank notes ever issued in Canada.

“Just as the work of scientists on the Amundsen is expanding the frontiers of Arctic research, this new polymer series is expanding the frontiers of bank note technology,” said Governor Carney.

The Governor encouraged Canadians to familiarize themselves with these new features, the most prominent of which are two transparent areas: one that extends from the top to the bottom of the note and contains complex holographic features, and the other in the shape of a maple leaf.

“Counterfeiting rates have been reduced by 90 per cent since 2004. Issuing this new series of bank notes enables us to continue to stay ahead of counterfeiters,” Governor Carney said. “And by regularly checking the leading-edge security features on these new notes, Canadians can help protect themselves from counterfeiting threats,” he added.

Parliamentary Secretary Glover noted that much has been done in recent years to combat counterfeiting and maintain public confidence in Canada’s bank notes, which helps to avoid the detrimental impact that counterfeiting can have on the integrity of an economy.

“These new polymer notes represent an important part of this effort and a significant barrier to counterfeiting. The striking imagery of this new $50 bill reflects Canada's commitment to the North,” said Parliamentary Secretary Glover.

Commissioner Grégoire expanded on the note’s theme, saying, “Canada’s northern frontier has played an important role in the shaping of our national identity. And it is a true honour to have the CCGS Amundsen, Canada’s Arctic research platform, illustrated on the note in this, the 50th anniversary of the Canadian Coast Guard.” He also spoke of how the Canadian Coast Guard’s partnership with ArcticNet provides the global scientific community with unprecedented access to research opportunities in the North.

With the $50 denomination being more frequently used in automated banking machines, Canadians were also reminded that each time a new series of bank notes is issued the equipment that processes and dispenses them may require adjustments or upgrades. The Bank of Canada has worked closely with financial institutions and manufacturers of bank note processing equipment to help them make this transition to polymer.

The $20 note will be issued later this year, with the remaining bank notes in the series – the $5 and $10 notes – to be issued by the end of 2013. The designs and detailed images of these notes will not be released until their official unveiling dates.

The themes of all of the denominations are:

$100 Medical Innovation – celebrates Canadian innovations in the field of medicine (Portrait: Sir Robert Borden)

$50 CCGS Amundsen, Research Icebreaker – reflects Canada’s commitment to Arctic research and the development and protection of northern communities (Portrait: Sir William Lyon Mackenzie King)

$20 The Canadian National Vimy Memorial – evokes the contributions and sacrifices of Canadians in conflicts throughout our history (Portrait: HM Queen Elizabeth II)

$10 The Canadian train – represents Canada’s great technical feat of linking its eastern and western frontiers by what was, at the time, the longest railway ever built (Portrait: Sir John A. Macdonald)

$5 Canadarm2 and Dextre – symbolize Canada’s continuing contribution to the international space program through robotics innovation (Portrait: Sir Wilfrid Laurier)

More information on the new polymer bank note series can be obtained by contacting Jeremy Harrison at 613 782-8782 or communications@bankofcanada.ca.

Additional links:
•Bank note web pages
•Webcast of issue ceremony
•Video B-roll
•Bank of Canada Review article: “Paying with Polymer: Developing Canada’s New Bank Notes”

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2012/03/press-releases/bank-of-canada-issues-50-polymer-bank-note/
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 02:34:19 pm »

I wonder what's going on- I visited all my trusty Bay St. bank branches that typically have the new notes on release day. Turned up empty handed, even after 2pm.  :-[
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »

Scotiabank main commercial branch in downtown Vancouver had them. I picked up 12 at 10:15 this morning. The teller didn't have any with her but she was able to get some from the head teller after a 5 minute wait.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

I tried at the RBC branch that I got my $100's from on release day today at about 0930 and they hadn't a clue. New fifties? (How long have the 'Canadian money is changing' adverts been playing on their ATMs)? I'm really going to be ticked off if I try at the ATM after work and a new $50 comes out. That means 5 more transactions. I'm really going to be ticked off if the holograms are scratched.

John

Edit: Fixed some grammatical errors :-(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:21:14 pm by JohnnyG5 »

Paper Money is Art!
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

Got some from CIBC at Commerce Court just now. Better than the $100s in design for sure. I don't know what they were doing with the portrait on the $100s, but WLM King is looking a lot better on these notes.
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:37 pm »

Maybe Mr Peral broke out the old burins rather that using the computerized engraving software... On second thought, probably not, there's a video on the bank of canada's site that shows him using the software for the portrait of King...

John

Paper Money is Art!
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

ATMs didn't have them today either. I checked a number of RBC, CIBC, TD and BMO machines and all were still churning out the good 'ol paper 50s with the apparently constipated WLM King.  :P It will be interesting to see how quickly they show up in ATMs, one bank branch I went to with older machines removed 50s from their machines a few week back.

I'm left wondering who the heck at the BOC approved the final production $100s. That portrait is an embarrassment- it looks almost nothing like the unveiled design. The $50 is much closer to the unveiled design, but the paleish colour is still a letdown. At least the reverse is better thought out on the $50, the $100 looks like someone opened up Word and stuck some random clipart together.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »

King does look better on the new $50. It looks like he has shed 30 lbs since 2004. Of course on the 2004 note he gained 50 lbs since the 1988 $50, still leaving him 20 lbs overweight.

He looked best on the 1975 $50.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:43 am »

Well, I visited a couple of my bank's ATMs at different locations and I did manage to snag an UNC J/C Journey $50. To that, I visited the RBC next to where I work this morning (Mar 27th), and the head teller had said she had received the new $50 notes, but they had yet to be counted. So I asked her to set aside 6 new 50's so I can get them before they go through those super ATMs.

Might make a withdrawal from the regular ATM after work. Different bundle, different serial number range. Can't hurt.

As for King looking better, the weight gain from 2004 was due to all the german food he was enjoying. :D (The die was made in Germany by Gieseke & Devrient - you know the parent company of BA International???)   

John

Paper Money is Art!
Emelie
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:38 am »

Newbie here.  :)
I tried to obtain a new $50 from my TD Bank branch at around 11:00 am yesterday (March 26), but they said they don't have any new ones in yet.  I guess I have to wait few more days...
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »

I got some from an HSBC and a TD Canada Trust bank today.  TD said they got theirs today. Royal did not have any yesterday.   AMC's and AME's

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »

I found an ATM at the TD Centre in Toronto handing them out today. Out of a row of 8 ATMs, there was only that one giving out the polymer $50s. Managed to snag a 3-digit radar.  :)
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »

Newbie here.  :)
I tried to obtain a new $50 from my TD Bank branch at around 11:00 am yesterday (March 26), but they said they don't have any new ones in yet.  I guess I have to wait few more days...

Your time will come. Be patient :)
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 03:47:14 pm »

Yippee! The head teller had 6 of the new notes ready for me when I went into the RBC on Milverton Rd in Mississauga. Already entered into the SNDB. I like them! Will see what comes out of the ATMs tonight.

Paper Money is Art!
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »

Got a 3 digit radar (AMA) and a (unconfirmed) replacement note today. (AHZ)

Login with username, password and session length