No
5 (14.7%)
Going To Start
0 (0%)
Will Never Start
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author
Topic: Do You Collect Coins?  (Read 6446 times)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

I figured, with the release of the Coins section on the forum, I would start a poll to see how many people collect coins.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:49 pm »

When I was a kid I used to save one of each circulation coin of every year and put them in an album. I still have them all.  I still try to collect a set of all circulating coins whenever I visit a foreign country. I never buy them from a dealer; trying to find them in circulation is part of the fun.

I have only bought coins two times; when I was 9 years old. One purchase was a 1983 cello RCM pack, and the other was an 18th century Chinese coin.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »

When I was a kid I used to save one of each circulation coin of every year and put them in an album.
That is exactly what I did when I was a kid, But I would only save the "special" ones. (All of the quarters with a different design on them. Like the the ones that had Provinces on them, for example.)

Right now, I have a very small set of Canadian Large Cents going. My main focus is American coins (Morgan Silver Dollars and Lincoln Cents, for the most part).

Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:36 pm »

I do- mainly error coins and mules.

I have a decent collection of brockages, foreign planchet strikes, clips, wrong planchet strikes, mules and other assorted errors.

My favorite at the moment is my 2006 first strike 25 cent brockage, with a perfect mirror image of the caribou + date.

Fenian
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:07:25 pm by Fenian »

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »

I collect bimetallic coins these days. Used to have a collection of world coins when I was a kid. I too like collecting circulation coins when visiting a foreign country.
Bob
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:49:37 am »

I have been collecting coins for a very long time, although my main interest has long been paper.  I have some Canadian coins, tokens and medals, Irish coins (pre-decimal), and a few old Scottish coins - and a lot of other miscellaneous pieces I just found interesting.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
abyss
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:31 am »

I started collecting coins from my loose change and then started to buy coins/sets from the RCM, but soon realized that although some issues were very appealing to look at ...they never went up in value.  In fact, most declined in value and could be bought cheaper from dealers and flea market vendors years later.
I probably started collecting banknotes after I started to get too confused with the way coins were graded. I once took a few items to a show and asked over a dozen so called "experts" their opinions on the items. To my amazement, out of 6 coins only two dealers gave the same grade to the same coin and those were the only dealers asking if I wanted to sell. The sad part is that the coins values, "according to the experts" ranged from a low of $180 to a high of $2600. Quite a difference I'd say. Anyways I ended up selling for $2000 to a private collector that was following me around all day like a shadow....from now on it's only paper money...
Tom-Bear
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

I've collected coins for a long time, but I'm really no longer an active collector. I've lost interest ever since the RCM started making so many different varieties. It's just gotten silly, it seems they make a new variety for almost anything they can think of.
I also used to collect US coins, but have sold most of them. I still have some US proof sets I'm trying to get rid of.

uscanuck1ca
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:36 pm »

My coin collection has surpassed my paper money collection.  I have a nice variety of many Canadian coins and to a lesser extent U.S. coins.

I reached a point with my paper money collection where adding to it was getting a little pricey for the grades I like!

Currently trying to complete my toonie collection with all the varieties of both circulation and non circulation issues..
OldCoinGuy
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:03:53 pm »

I have been collecting coins since the mid 50s.  I am not as active a buyer now, though.  My main interest is Canadian 5c (1922+) in condition rare grades.  I gave up on completing collections in the other denominations and am working now on a nice type set up to 1967.
DREDGE
  • Bald is beautiful man:)
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 12:49:42 am »

I have collected coins since childhood and moved into paper in my teens. 

Login with username, password and session length