Author
Topic: BCS Graded Polymers showing up on eBay  (Read 8620 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:20:10 am »

BCS Graded Polymers have begun showing up on eBay

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:25:09 am »

I didn't realize that BCS would certify a note before it was listed in the CGPM catalogue...guess I was wrong :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:10:14 am »

Maybe I'm being dense- but what was the point of getting a common Polymer $100 graded? Is there something special I'm missing about this note?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:22:33 am »

Maybe I'm being dense- but what was the point of getting a common Polymer $100 graded? Is there something special I'm missing about this note?

I was kind of wondering the same thing ?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »

probably same reason others are selling polymers..... Just to make a quick buck during the hype generated from the introduction of the polymer series.

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:18 pm »

I don't understand why anyone would buy a graded or non-graded new note for above face value, when they are available at just about any bank, in quantity, and in top grades as they come off the new piles...
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »

It could be people from the States, or other countries where they do not have access to brand new Canadian notes.

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:46:33 pm »

Isn't the saying, "Buy the Holder, not the note?"  :P

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

I didn't realize that BCS would certify a note before it was listed in the CGPM catalogue...guess I was wrong
- I find this very disappointing/ & almost depressing.   Does it not give our hobby a bad name?  Especially considering how many of us here have acknowledged BCS as a in keeping with stringent, conservative and as the more reputable amongst the TPG companies.  Perhaps, I am expecting too much.   

I was kind of wondering the same thing

-Yeah, well obviously you're not alone.  They're about as "special" as the freshly stamped "Gold Flag" 1967 Centennial or the "Polar Bear" 1986 stamped two dollar notes... Okay, well maybe not quite that bad- but come on- many sellers are listing these SUPER COMMON filler notes  for 2 to 3X their face value in the "Buy it Now" option.  Even their reserve prices are insulting! I guess this is what I mean by deceptive practices amongst our hobby (& very disturbing).

Just to make a quick buck during the hype generated from the introduction of the polymer series.
It would seem so.  And I thought the shredded money in the jar listing was annoying! And yet this sudden onslaught of super common freshly minted TPG polymer notes is really grating on my nerves!

Buy the Holder, not the note

Sad but true- yet we've seen it all before with CCGS & PCGS graded common notes (only too often).  BUT all those common notes were registered with a code.  Now BCS are doing the same to filler notes before they're even registered in Charlton.  Perhaps that is why there was such an uproar when TPG hit our hobby not long ago?  Were the "nay-sayers" prescient? Did they see trouble on the horizon? Since TPG is indeed a business- there are no "gate-keepers" deciding what notes merit professional grading and what (like the 10,000,000 run of polymer were' seeing now) should be kept RAW.   You would also think that most notes would be declined for grading until the note has been formerly registered. This is the least TPG can do.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »

Not sure what the controversy is about.  You guys wanted third party grading, didn't yas?  Somebody sure is giving the grading companies the business.  Notes deemed to be "gem uncirculated" by Canadian grading standards are hard to find even in current issues.  This may or may not be the same for the polymer series, we'll see.  Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a couple of assumptions:
- TPGs like BCS have permission to use the Charlton catalogue numbering system; and
- they have been in communication with the proper authorities at Charlton to verify what the catalogue numbering of the new series will be when a new volume is issued.  In other words, just because another hard copy of the catalogue is not in circulation yet, doesn't mean they are not gathering information throughout the year in between release dates. Some people prefer to have their Bibles in their hands before they believe anything, but others are not as tactile.
(In other words, just because the polymer notes are not in the latest catalogue, that doesn't mean they don't exist.)
 ;)

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length