Author
Topic: 1954 1000$ bill with weird serial number  (Read 17465 times)
173pxp
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:49 am »

Hopefully, there is someone that can help me out

We have a 1000$ dollar bill from 1954 in excellent condition.  The only thing i just can't figure out is that the signatures on the bill are Booey-Rasminsky, but the serial number  is 0122391.  The Booey-Rasminsky collection supposably starts at 0122400.  With the serial number i have, the signatures should be Beattie-Rasminsky (as per the book i have)

I can't seem to find any information regarding this.  Is there anyone that can help me?
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:11:01 pm »

They all start with A/K.

Whenever someone claims to have a note that is unusual or doesn't fit the catalogue's information, we need visual proof of the note's existence.  Whereas this used to be a problem in the past, with today's technology, it should be simple to produce images.  That's why there's so much visual evidence pouring in confirming the existence of UFOs and Bigfoot.  :D

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »

Will do tonight, currently at work and i don't have the bill with me!!

Thanks for trying to help me

I forgot to mention that the serial number starts with AK
We look forward to seeing your note. Its really interesting the info you have because the info listed in the charlton should be exact as per the bank of Canada changeover information. There is always that you might have found an annomaly note or that the info in charlton may be incorrect. There is also a possibilty that your note might be a fake.
173pxp
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:45 pm »

. There is also a possibilty that your note might be a fake.

That's why i really want to know.  This is a bill that my mother in law as been keeping for years, and she's selling it to us for face value (we've recently started collecting money-or should i say started getting more serious about our collection).   We got to bring it home last night and that's when we noticed about the serial number. So of course, i will not pay for it if it's fake. But if it's an error, that could means that it's worth more, which makes it interesting.

I should be home in about an hour, i'll be back with the scan.
JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »

I have before on occasion seen counterfeit notes that had proper serial numbers but that did not correspond to the correct signature. An example was a 2001 FDZ note with serial # below 9.6M but with signature knight-Dodge. Thought i had found an annomaly note but after further looking at the note i realized i had a fake.  :'(
I really hope that this is not the case for your $1,000 note!
173pxp
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »

I think i got it now!
{http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5118/19541000.jpg:http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5118/19541000.th.jpg}

{http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6330/1954back.jpg:http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6330/1954back.th.jpg}
Bruxi
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »

Maybe it's the scan but some of the printing aspects like the thin left "K" in the serial # and the double line around the coat of arms look off. 

I hope it's just the scan!
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

Thank you for uploading the scan. As we know the serial number on this note does not match with the signature. There is a possibility that its a counterfeit.  Your best option is to have it verified by a local coin/paper money dealer or perhaps at a local bank.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »

The ink colour of the note in general and font of the serial number looks right.  There appear to be planchettes on the note...but you don't want to go peeling any of them off as this would obviously damage the note.  Does the intaglio printing feel right, and if you take a magnifying glass to the note, do the Queen's eyes look sharp with concentric circles?

Do any other members know if there are any additional security features visible by putting the note under UV light?

Actually, while going through some scans of 1954 $1,000 notes to compare to this one, I have a scan of a $1,000 note Devil's Face note, Beattie-Rasminsky signature (typed, not engraved), serial A/K 0062873. ???  I'll post it in a more appropriate thread momentarily...

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:46 am »

Do any other members know if there are any additional security features visible by putting the note under UV light?

For the 1954 series, the only thing would be the planchettes.  Those notes weren't very high-tech.  None of that stuff really started appearing for several more decades.  The Bank was still largely depending on the intricacy of intaglio printing.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
173pxp
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:49:16 am »

Does the intaglio printing feel right, and if you take a magnifying glass to the note, do the Queen's eyes look sharp with concentric circles?

Yes, i took a good look this morning, the eyes are sharp, and i can feel the intaglio printing on each corner (where the 1000 is written).

I'm from a small town, so we don't have any local money dealer, so that limits what i can do.  I will try emailing some of those companies who posted adds in the Charlton Catalogue to inquire if they ever heard of this.
JoeF
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:02 am »

Here's another thought.  Is it possible that this is a serial number error?  That is, the serial number counter became mis-adjusted somewhere in the Bouey - Rasminsky series and produced a number that belonged in the Beattie - Rasminsky series.

Serial numbering errors are a somewhat common occurance and maybe that's what has happened here.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:01 am »

Is it possible that this is a serial number error?  That is, the serial number counter became mis-adjusted somewhere in the Bouey - Rasminsky series and produced a number that belonged in the Beattie - Rasminsky series.

Almost anything is possible, but I would be more inclined to suspect a clerical/typo error when BOC gave the # ranges to Charlton (or some such mix up).  I believe it would be more likely that ranges may be a little mixed up (which can only be verified as notes near the change-over range show up).  The answer to these mysteries are typically more simple then complicated.

For example: Beatttie-Rasminsky may have ran only up till 0122200 (instead of 0122400) and Bouey/Rasminksy included notes from 0122200 (or 01222300, for example) - 0218000.  Or the former signature combination may have stopped at 0122000: we can only speculate, as this note now opens up the possibility.  It won't be the first time that SN ranges have been in dispute although it is surprising (& yet remember is a $1000 note which doesn't get a lot of attention from collectors).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:16:30 am by walktothewater »

DREDGE
  • Bald is beautiful man:)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:11 am »

What are the plate numbers???

173pxp
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:02 am »

I have looked and i canno`t find a plate number.  Is there a spot in particular i should be looking at?
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:07:27 am »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
173pxp
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »

Try this.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=9704.0

Regards,
MG

Thank you very much.  I've looked carefully and found the back plate on our 1000$ bill to be  a 1
emagdnim90
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 01:24:59 am »

So whatever happened to this!!???

Login with username, password and session length