Author
Topic: Bank of Canada to Unveil New $20 Polymer Bank Note  (Read 15026 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

Advisory just released by the Bank of Canada:
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2012/05/media-advisories/bank-of-canada-to-unveil-new-20-polymer-bank-note/

Bank of Canada to Unveil New $20 Polymer Bank Note

OTTAWA – The Governor of the Bank of Canada, Mark Carney, will participate in a photo opportunity to unveil Canada’s new $20 polymer bank note on Wednesday, 2 May 2012.

The $20 bank note is the most circulated denomination in Canada. The new $20 polymer note pays tribute to the contributions and sacrifices of Canadian men and women in all military conflicts, and will feature an updated portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II on the front, and the Canadian National Vimy Memorial on the back.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
suretteda
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:07 am »

Bank of Canada Unveils New $20 Note Design

Ottawa, Ontario - Minister of Finance Jim Flaherty and Governor Mark Carney today unveiled the new and more secure $20 polymer bank note at the Bank of Canada’s head office, on Wellington Street in Ottawa. To raise public awareness about the new note, the building’s north-east corner now features seven-storey high images of both sides of the polymer $20.

As with the previously issued $50 and $100 polymer bank notes, the main reason for issuing a new $20 is to stay ahead of counterfeiting threats.  The new polymer notes are also more economical and have a smaller environmental footprint.

“The Bank’s goal is to maintain Canadians’ confidence in our money as a secure means of payment,” said Governor Carney after the unveiling ceremony. “This new $20 note fits the bill.”

The front of the polymer $20 features a new portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II, who is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee this year. The back of the note pays tribute to the contributions and sacrifices of Canadian men and women in all military conflicts, and features the Canadian National Vimy Memorial – an iconic monument located in Vimy, France that commemorates the Battle of Vimy Ridge and honours those who fought and gave their lives in the First World War in France and have no known grave.

On 9 April 1917, all four divisions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force united for the first time to take Vimy Ridge in France – a strategically important position that had eluded previous attempts by allied forces between 1914 and 1916.

“The Canadian Corps’ victory at Vimy is often described as Canada’s ‘coming of age’ as a nation,” said Minister Flaherty, “This third note in the Frontier series commemorates the combination of technical innovation, tactical planning and meticulous execution with which Canada breached more than just a military frontier at Vimy Ridge.”

“The Bank is proud to memorialize this pivotal moment in Canadian history and to feature the inspiring Canadian National Vimy Memorial on the new $20 bank note,” said Governor Carney.

The $20 bill, which accounts for over 50 per cent of all bank notes in circulation and is the main note dispensed by automated banking machines (ABMs), will begin circulating in November of this year. To prepare for the new notes, the Bank is working closely with financial institutions and manufacturers of bank note equipment to ensure a smooth transition to polymer. The Bank is also providing authentication training and support materials to law enforcement officers and to cash handlers in retail and financial institutions.

The remaining bank notes in the series – the $5 and $10 – will be issued by the end of 2013. The specific designs and detailed images of these notes will not be released until their official unveiling dates.

The themes of all the polymer denominations are:

$100 Medical Innovation – celebrates Canadian innovations in the field of medicine (Portrait: Sir Robert Borden)

$50 CCGS Amundsen, Research Icebreaker – reflects Canada’s commitment to Arctic research and the development and protection of northern communities (Portrait: Sir William Lyon Mackenzie King)

$20 The Canadian National Vimy Memorial – evokes the contributions and sacrifices of Canadian men and women in military conflicts throughout our history. (Portrait: HM Queen Elizabeth II)

$10 The Canadian train—represents Canada’s great technical feat of linking its eastern and western frontiers by what was, at the time, the longest railway ever built. (Portrait: Sir John A. Macdonald)

$5 Canadarm2 and Dextre—symbolizes Canada’s continuing contribution to the international space program through robotics innovation. (Portrait: Sir Wilfrid Laurier)

More information on the new polymer bank note series can be obtained by contacting Jeremy Harrison at 613 782-8782 or
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2012/05/press-releases/bank-canada-unveils-new-20-note-design/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bankofcanada/

Flickr description:
$20—2012, Polymer series
Design Features:
Portrait: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Signatures: Left – T. Macklem, Right – M. J. Carney
Size: 152.4 x 69.85 mm (6.0 x 2.75 inches)
Issue Date: November 2012

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:22:13 pm by suretteda »
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:47 am »

Brilliant, suretteda!

I like how the Peace Tower is used in the hologram, as the bill itself is about peacekeeping and remembrance. I always wondered why in the Journey series the Peace Tower was on the $50, while the $10s' theme was peacekeeping and remembrance.

I hope somebody's head doesn't roll at the BoC for accidentally posting these ahead of the actual unveiling date.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:47:13 am by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »

Is it just me, or do the pupils of QE2's eyes look RED??

It would be cool if they are red...in 1954, we had the Devil's Face notes.  Maybe in 2012 we'll have the Devil's Eyes notes!
 :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bankofcanada/7129211887/in/set-72157626881761575/lightbox/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:46:36 pm by venga50 »

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

Looks like we still have to wait till Nov for the  new $20 to be released :(
AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

Here are three images on which the designs of the new twenties are different. The top one (from Flicker) is clearly a computer-generated design similar to those of $50 and $100 posted on the BOC site when they were first unvelied.

The second appears to be a "real" note being shown by one of the officials during the yesterday's ceremony.

The third one (also from Flicker) shows bundles of notes being handled. Note the relatively bright yellow background. I wonder what these notes are. Possibly early test notes?

{http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5163/polymer20.jpg:http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5163/polymer20.th.jpg}
tmort
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »

What do you think of the design/look of the bills? I think they look better than the $100 and maybe even the $50.

CPMS member
Tom-Bear
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

Did anyone else catch the commentary on the Business News Network about the new $20 note the other day? They were strongly suggesting that it would have to be redesigned, for two reasons.
First, they suggested that the image of the Vimy Memorial on the back of the note too strongly resembled the World Trade Centre. At a first glance, I could agree with their assertion.
Secondly, they claimed to see the images of two naked women on the face of the note! I nearly fell off my chair! I've examined images of it and cannot seem to see what they saw. I wonder if it could be something like the Devil's Face kind of thing. Has anyone else seen this? BNN is certainly not known for anything but serious reporting. This was an exchange between Frances and Marty on one of their morning segments.

About this new series in general, my only complaint is the colours are too dull. The $50 is not red enough, not bright enough.

Anhtonysoprano
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:54 pm »

I have to agree about the fifties, way to bland.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »

{http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7129211777_87433ff96f_z.jpg}

Including some "controversy" surrounding the picture on the back which depicts Vimy Ridge
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:48:50 pm by Wizard1 »

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »

Secondly, they claimed to see the images of two naked women on the face of the note! I nearly fell off my chair! I've examined images of it and cannot seem to see what they saw.

That's strange.... I thought I saw three  :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »

That's strange.... I thought I saw three  :)

No, that one in the middle is the Queen, and she has her clothes on.  ^-^

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »

they suggested that the image of the Vimy Memorial on the back of the note too strongly resembled the World Trade Centre
Don't see it and don't see how its even relevant (its a concrete monument not a tower)

they claimed to see the images of two naked women on the face of the note!

If only it were that sexy!  People always seem to be making much ado about nothing.

the fifties, way to bland.

I think we have a case where the computer designs are much bolder and nicer to behold in colour then the actual item.  Its like they're applying the old colour guidelines for paper (inks that worked well for cotton/paper) to polymer- and they just don't work (Polymer absorbs too much light for the colours to look good).   

I won't be a bit surprised if the $20 is an equally bland, dull, and a lifeless swampy shade of green.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:31 pm »

If only it were that sexy!  People always seem to be making much ado about nothing. 

I wonder if the raised tactiles were strategically placed   ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »

Don't see it and don't see how its even relevant (its a concrete monument not a tower)

I think we have a case where the computer designs are much bolder and nicer to behold in colour then the actual item.  Its like they're applying the old colour guidelines for paper (inks that worked well for cotton/paper) to polymer- and they just don't work (Polymer absorbs too much light for the colours to look good).   

I won't be a bit surprised if the $20 is an equally bland, dull, and a lifeless swampy shade of green.

The thing is, it isn't like the BOC printed millions of the notes and realized the inks turn out differently. The Australian notes have deep and vibrant colours that our notes fail at. Not to mention, the intaglio is a lot weaker on our notes compared to the Australian/NZ notes, also leading me to believe the BOC followed engraving guidelines for paper notes when I imagine a plate might have to be engraved deeper to achieve the same effect on polymer. I can barely feel the intaglio on UNC notes, whereas I can still feel them on worn Australian notes that have been in use for 17 years.

Login with username, password and session length