Author
Topic: Bird series, lines of ink across Mackenzie Kings' portrait ?  (Read 4213 times)
Baanos

Hello, I posted this on another forum, but I didn't get many replies, I figured here was the best place to ask.

I got this from the bank the other day. Does anyone know if this is an error and was that common on the 50 dollar notes back then ?

Al D
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:49 pm »

It looks like the ink from the back of the note on top transferred to the face of your note, an offset in printing terminology.
I just had a similar situation on a new polymer $50 that one of the members helped me with.
My understanding is the "error" if it could be called that, is not significant.

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:23:51 am »

It looks like marks from ATM/currency counter rollers.
Baanos
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »

Alright, thanks for the info. Should I release it back to the wild given its condition or is it worth holding on to it as this is still a 1988 50 dollar note ?
Al D
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »

My unqualified opinion is it's condition is VF. I, and others, would probably count the ink marks against it also.
Bonin-Thiessen: FHM catalogue value is VF -$50 EF - $55. Other Bonin-Thiessen prefixes don't reach any premium unless the condition is AU or better.
Sometimes I hold a note just to have one until I find one in better condition. It depends on if you are trying to build a collection or just looking for treasure.
Anybody else??

Login with username, password and session length