Author
Topic: 100$ polymer, Possible printing error or been tampered with  (Read 9750 times)
Baanos

Hello, just found this this morning and not sure if it's legit or if someone tampered with the note so that it looks this way. To me it appears as if someone has used a pencil eraser on it in certain areas.

First picture is unmodified. Second us the same, but shows the areas where the possible ink issues are:

Regarding its condition, it is not UNC, it has a few hard folds on it.

Any thoughts on what that could be ?
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »

Tough to say if it's not UNC.

I managed to erase all of the intaglio design off one of these notes and it looked like that as I was erasing. A good way to check if a note has been tampered with seems to be if you tilt it in the light- there'll be shiny spots where the tampering occurred as the varnish applied at the final stage gives the note a matte surface.
Baanos
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:54:32 pm »

Tough to say if it's not UNC.

I managed to erase all of the intaglio design off one of these notes and it looked like that as I was erasing. A good way to check if a note has been tampered with seems to be if you tilt it in the light- there'll be shiny spots where the tampering occurred as the varnish applied at the final stage gives the note a matte surface.

I tilted the banknote in the sunlight and I could not see any shiny spots around where tampering appears to have taken place. Also, I forgot to mention, to the feel of the finger, the surface on those locations is as smooth as it is on any other part of the note.

Now assuming that someone might have used an eraser on those locations on the note, I would have a hard time coming up with an explanation for the darker ink spots right next to the left eyebrow of Borden.

I'll probably post more pictures later tonight. Eager to hear more comments on this.
Baanos
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »

Baanos
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

Anyone else has an idea?
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:30 pm »

Solvent damage perhaps?

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

It definitely looks like a tiny wet trap error.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.0

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
stashthecash
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:38:08 pm »

It definitely looks like a tiny wet trap error.

Is the way they apply inks to the Polymer notes the same way they are applied to the Journey Notes?
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:04:23 pm »

We've already seen that the ink on these notes can be rubbed off easily.  It's not much of a logistical stretch to expect that the inks can be smeared by chemical exposure.  But if someone insists on paying well above face value for something like this, I'm sure sellers will "find" some.

No hay banda  
Baanos
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:31:36 pm »

I wouldn't be interested in selling something which I don't know what it is. This is not who I am. Isn't there someone in the Greater Montreal area who grades Canadian banknotes who I could see about this ?
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »

I wouldn't be interested in selling something which I don't know what it is. This is not who I am. Isn't there someone in the Greater Montreal area who grades Canadian banknotes who I could see about this ?

CCCS, Canadian Coin Certification Service,

Box 1051, Saint-Basile-Le-Grand QC, J3N 1M5, Canada, 450-723-1204

You might also consider visiting the large upcoming show in Montreal (There will be plenty of dealers there that can give you an opinion. Louis Chevrier the owner of CCCS will also be there representing Lower Canadian Auctions):

http://www.nuphilex.com

November 02-03-04, 2012

Friday : 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. [Admission $3.00]
Saturday : 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. [Admission $3.00]
Sunday : 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. [Free Admission]

Holiday Inn Midtown
Ambassadeur Room
420 Sherbrooke West
Montreal, QC
Room Reservation: 1-800-387-3042

The above is not an endorsement nor a promotion for any company or dealer.  It is just information to answer the request above.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:48:52 pm by Wizard1 »

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »

The above is not an endorsement nor a promotion for any company or dealer.  It is just information to answer the request above.

And yet an answer intended for one person is posted for all to see...

No hay banda  
Baanos
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:00:52 pm »

Thanks a lot Wizard1, I'll have a look around at the nuphilex show :)
Baanos
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »

Alright, I just showed my note to Louis Chevrier at the Nuphilex show in Montreal as well as another dealer at the table and I was told this could be damage from chemicals, but that we cannot know for sure until we test other 100$ notes with certain chemicals to see if the same effect replicates.

I am not willing to do this, not worth it IMO. So back to circulation it goes!

Login with username, password and session length