Author
Topic: RARE 1908 Canadian Specimen Set - First Coinage from Ottawa Branch of Royal Mint  (Read 5659 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

In this topic of Canadian Coins, I want to share with fellow members, this Historic and Significant Coin Set - One of the First Canadian Coinage Made in Canada , by the Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint.   

Issued in 1908 these sets were among the first coins produced in Canada.  Prior to this date all Canadian coins were struck in Britain and shipped over to Canada.

To see the photos, you must login/have an account.. There are high quality close-up photos of the complete set of coins, various angles and lighting.

I recently acquired this rare coin set, the 1908 Canadian Specimen Set - which displays the "FIRST COINAGE OF CANADIAN MINT - OTTAWA - 1908" in its original red Moroccan leather case. This coin set is in immaculate condition considering it is 115 years old. 

The coins are of specimen quality and come housed in the original leather case. The royal purple satin is in pristine condition along with the red leather strip with gold inscribed lettering. 

It took over 25 years of searching to finally find a complete set with case that I could purchase, at a very reasonable price.

Also included in this post, are two RARE 1908 Coin Souvenirs that the Ottawa Mint sold to the public in 1908.  I was able to acquire these historic pieces, as well. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 03:06:10 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Here are the close-up, individual photos, of the 1908 specimen coins

- 1c large cent, 5c silver, 10c silver, 25c silver, and 50c silver, coinage.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 05:36:01 pm by coinsplus »

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Different angle photos of the coins in the case.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

The Specimen Set in natural sunlight (stayed for only a few minutes)

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Here are photos (front/back) of two rare souvenir coins, a pendant and a pin that were sold at the Ottawa Mint in 1908.   

One is of the 1 cent coin, and the other is a 5 cent silver coin. 

On the 1 cent brass metal pendant, it reads on the blue enamel, "ONE OF THE FIRST COINS STRUCK IN CANADA"

On the 5 cent brass/gold-plated metal pin, it reads on the blue enamel, "ONE OF THE FIRST SILVER COINS MADE IN CANADA" 

Seldom that you see these 1908 souvenir coins.   

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 02:54:51 pm by coinsplus »

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

And after 115 years, this 1908 Canadian Specimen Set, along with the 1908 1 cent souvenir encased enamel brass pendant, and the 1908 5 cent silver coin souvenir encased enamel brass pin, are re-united. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 02:53:29 pm by coinsplus »

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Here is an article from the Journal “Canada” dated January 4, 1908 where the article discusses the soon to be open, “Canada’s Royal Mint”.  Quite a fascinating article. 

And to put into perspective, the journal also lists the average hourly Canadian wages for various occupations in Canada in January, 1908.  The amounts listed are "CENTS per hour" (NOT DOLLARS).  Some of the occupations that were popular back then, are so uncommon today.     

This gives you an idea of how costly this 1908 Specimen Set would have been back then. 

Here is more history and information about the Royal Mint, Ottawa Branch, by the Historic Society of Ottawa, and how the Mint came to be:

https://www.historicalsocietyottawa.ca/publications/ottawa-stories/important-public-and-private-buildings-in-the-city/the-royal-mint

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 05:44:41 pm by coinsplus »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!

These coins are fantastic!  Congratulations on your purchase!

Redlock

Congrats on being able to add this fantastic set to your collection
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture

Amazing set coinsplus! Enjoyed the article on the RCM & cool pin too! Thanks for sharing!

Login with username, password and session length