Author
Topic: Where do you stand with silver right now?  (Read 10305 times)
Shylo
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:42:59 pm »

I had been buying a bit of silver when it was around 30 an oz. But have eased off a touch since I'm off work for a little while and won't have a pay cheque coming in until Nov.

What is your play on this right now? Personally I think it may go to around 40 per oz.. but I have heard it may go as high as 60 per oz by the end of next year...

Your thoughts? Comments...
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »

Just Keep Calm and Carry On.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:38:54 am »

I wish I had a crystal ball, but I don't...
The higher ... the better as far as I am concerned  :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »

I have no doubt in my mind that the price of silver is going to go much, much higher.
Add in inflation or even hyperinflation and the sky is the limit.

my 2 cents
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »

I have no doubt in my mind that the price of silver is going to go much, much higher.
Add in inflation or even hyperinflation and the sky is the limit.

my 2 cents

So where may I ask did you get your crystal ball   ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »

Everyone’s got a crystal ball; they just don’t all work effectively. I had a buddy ask me if putting all his funds into silver was a good idea some time ago since that’s all one heard about in the papers (besides real estate), I said no and a few months later had he bought he could have suffered a 40% loss. I know that many dealers have been telling me silver will go to $300. I don’t dismiss that such things could happen but with silver averaging no more that $13 over the past 100 years (adjusted for inflation) I find it hard being a deep value investor to pay anything above this price. Many seem to point that the spread between gold and silver is out of line which if it corrects will drive the price of silver up but that’s under the assumption that gold is correctly priced. With such intelligent people as Eric Sprott putting their money where there mouths are, I can see how one could definitely feel comfortable jumping on the bandwagon but just make sure your crystal ball sends you an alert when its time to get out as most people buy high and sell low.

Again, WDIK
MG
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:08:31 pm by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:24 pm »

Everyone’s got a crystal ball; they just don’t all work effectively.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know someone with a glass eye!  :D

stashthecash
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

I think it is funny when you start to talk to people about silver everyone has an opinion whether they know anything or not.
Buy...sell..hold on...keep some and diversify...get rid of the metal in your safe and put it into futures....
I bought a monster box of silver maples quite a while back for about 13K so I can't really complain....I am still ahead of the game right now, but who knows what is going to happen down the road....personally I cannot see how Ican lose unless inflation kills me...
The only question I have is how do I get the best price when I sell....individually it could take forever and not sure how many people here would box a full box....any suggestions for down the road
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »

individually it could take forever and not sure how many people here would box a full box....any suggestions for down the road
Bring the box to a dealer, they may pay slightly under spot, but it saves you a lot of time (The price could drop in that time as well, so slightly under spot isn't a bad deal).

Or, you could list all the coins separately on eBay (Would take a while) because they usually sell for at least a couple of dollars over spot. Although after all the fees, you may only be slightly ahead of what a dealer would have offered, and you would have had to ship hundreds of Maples.

stashthecash
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

Bring the box to a dealer, they may pay slightly under spot

I don't think I would have any problem selling silver maples for spot,,,I would be crazy to let them go at that price....
(under spot that is)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

It might be a bit more difficult to find one person (not a dealer) willing to buy 500 maples, when a lot of people are trying to sell. (I would assume you would be selling in the mid $40's to low $50's?)

Rusty
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »

No one really knows what gold & silver will do in time. In the interim, consider reading Harry S. Dent Jr.’s “The Great Crash Ahead” published in September 2011. Dent predicts ‘deflation’ NOT inflation, predicated on his belief that demographics – i.e. an aging population that saves instead of spending – will reduce GDP and stall economies across the globe. If that happens, both gold and silver will lose their lustre. Everyone is predicting inflation because of US monetary policy that has been in place since 2008 ... 4 years ago. So far, no inflation in sight. That may change ... or maybe not.

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »

There is a Youtube Blogger that has already carefully thought out the future of Silver as a future form of money beyond that of a mere commodity.  He puts into a sound argument the future value of Silver bullion squarely in the context of our current global situation and is worth a look at.  Especially in the light of an inevitable collapse of the American economy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIvdsRD-ws&feature=autoplay&list=PLAC607AF992A840A8&playnext=5
The complete series of the Silver Bullet and Silver Shield, 48 Videos.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAC607AF992A840A8

Another good blogger is SGTbull07
Weimar style inflation Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YQk0jr_Bw&list=UU2nQYGjfe9I_tgWpqgJorUg&index=9&feature=plcp
Weimar style inflation Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sy6r1tcGrk&list=UU2nQYGjfe9I_tgWpqgJorUg&index=10&feature=plcp
They tend to be on the sensationalist side but I think they are on the right track as to encourage the use of Silver as a valuable hedge against inflation, but argue that it is just as good in a deflationary situation.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
cashcow
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »

I've been in silver for a decade now. A friend of mine bought a log in Feb of 2010 (1000 oz bar) and sold it for 30K a year later.. but the metal went up to 49 an oz.. he missed out on a lot.. but as he said, your never going to buy at the bottom nor sell at the top. Pick your margins and wait till it gets there.

I put silver at 22 an ounce now.. I expect it will return to 32 inside of 18 months. If it decreases I will buy more, if it hits 30 an ounce, I will see a bit and more if it goes to 32.
cashcow
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »

Login with username, password and session length