Author
Topic: Got the new $20 today.  (Read 27185 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 02:15:43 am »

Do you think they send some prefix to the west and some to the east ? In Montrea, I saw a lot of BIT and BIH. However, the west is getting a lot of BIE. The Ontario is getting BIG and BIK.
  There is a wide distribution of notes.  There never has been (nor is there any today) any evidence to suggest that certain notes are sent to certain parts of the country.

I also noticed that mysterious 4 cm2 square area on the back of the note that is apparent when holding it at certain angles. Someone first noticed it on the polymer $100 when it first came out. What is that square, anyway? Some undocumented security feature?
This "security square" was first observed on late Birds series $20s about 10 years ago.  It has since been seen intermittently (or at least it was not observable on some notes) throughout the Journey series and into the polymer series.  There is no good answer as to what it is for; so far just a lot of guesses.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 10:14:32 am »

There is a wide distribution of notes.  There never has been (nor is there any today) any evidence to suggest that certain notes are sent to certain parts of the country.
 This "security square" was first observed on late Birds series $20s about 10 years ago.  It has since been seen intermittently (or at least it was not observable on some notes) throughout the Journey series and into the polymer series.  There is no good answer as to what it is for; so far just a lot of guesses.

If you look at eBay dans the SNDB, BIE are only in British Columbia, also BIF.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

If you look at eBay dans the SNDB, BIE are only in British Columbia, also BIF.
You're using the high and low notes from less than a week's finds by a miniscule fraction of the population to try and claim a limited geographic distribution of banknotes? :D

Wait until we've got 100 notes in there.  Then, maybe, by looking at all of the geographic data you could guess as to where they were all found, but you can't count on each one of those notes having been entered immediately after they were obtained from a bank.  Some may have been on road trips across the country before finally being entered into the SNDB.

Case in point: I've already entered a handful of polymer $20s that have been passed from hand to hand in circulation.  Who knows where they ultimately started.

The geographic data in the SNDB must be taken with a grain of salt.  It can be useful, but only if taken appropriately.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »

I know the SNDB doesn't represent the reality but, it's good data to notice I think. Yes, in few months we will see notes moving from a province to another, but they won't be UNC like they are currently when they come out of the ATM.

Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »

The ones handed out at the Montreal BoC media event last week were all BIE.

There are, as of now, very few new $20's circulating in Montreal.  I haven't seen a single one in a cash drawer or anything.  I asked four family members (who are all clients of different banks) who withdrew cash from ATM's over the weekend.  Not one.

Marc :)
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:26 pm »

The ones handed out at the Montreal BoC media event last week were all BIE.

There are, as of now, very few new $20's circulating in Montreal.  I haven't seen a single one in a cash drawer or anything.  I asked four family members (who are all clients of different banks) who withdrew cash from ATM's over the weekend.  Not one.

If you want, you can try the RBC branch at Place Carillion near Les Galeries d'Anjou. I got 5 BIH here in the left ATM. The one on the right didn't have them, but the cashier inside have 'em. They require two IDs cards if you are not a RBC member.

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:10 pm »

It seems to really depend where you are in the city which notes are put in machines.

In the financial district, most banks had loaded the new $20s in their machines. Back in the suburbs, I've found many branch ATMs don't have them, or if they have them it's only one machine out of two or four.

On another note, I found one machine here still dispensing UNC paper $20s, AUU prefix.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »

If you want, you can try the RBC branch at Place Carillion near Les Galeries d'Anjou. I got 5 BIH here in the left ATM. The one on the right didn't have them, but the cashier inside have 'em. They require two IDs cards if you are not a RBC member.

Thanks for the heads-up, but Anjou is much too far for me.  I'm not that desperate.  :P

For sure by the end of the month, they'll be in the majority of ATMs.

Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:43 pm »

For sure by the end of the month, they'll be in the majority of ATMs.
My local ATMs are now full of them.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
Skylark
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:32 pm »

I picked up BIF 9314068-9314059+9314057 so am missing 58.
This means that It was ether shuffled to another spot or replaced. And I suspect inserts are added at the end of a bundle/brick.
So maybe if you go back to the atm when its at the end of the bundle you'll get inserts.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

My local ATMs are now full of them.

Wish I could say the same.  As I said before, several banks, in three parts of the city...not a one.

stashthecash
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »

And I suspect inserts are added at the end of a bundle/brick
unfortunately you cannot assume that
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 10:43:49 pm »

Typically inserts replace the note that has problems exactly where the problem note resides. To better understand this one should understand how exactly notes are produced and cut. When money is printed it is printed in a stack, where the notes with consecutive serials are found above or below the note, rather than next to the preceding or proceeding note on the same sheet.

When there is a problem with the printing of a sheet (and the problem is big enough to invalidate the entire sheet), the entire sheet is replaced where it was located in the stack. This is why normally you tend to find a (sheet) replacement note exactly where the next logical serial number note would have been, since once the problem sheet is replaced the entire stack is cut (straight down) to create bundles with consecutive serials.

On the other hand after all the notes in the stack are cut the bundles pass a secondary QC inspection, there will be times where production problems were not caught prior to cutting / sheet inspection. If such anomalies exist, and secondary QC notices it, then a single note replacement is used and inserted where the problem note existed.

Again the above is how printers typically dealt with problem notes in the past. There might be a small chance that they could change this (and place replacements elsewhere), but the likelihood of this is extremely small (but not impossible - aka it does happen that sometimes they are put at the end of the stack).

Also note that this printing/cutting method might be different as one printer likes to make non-consecutive (mixed) bundles.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:06:30 am by Wizard1 »

Skylark
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:07 pm »

Called my bank to order some and was told that they got a memo saying ATMs would be given priority.
So I too am probably going to receive old ones.
Nope, got 5 bundles of new ones with BOC straps. And boy are they messed up, and boy am I unlucky.
BUNDLE 1
BIH 1310252-1310245
BIH 1260259-1260251, 1260244-1260217, 1260215-1260200
BIH 1210298-1210260

BUNDLE 2
BIH 1660298-1660274
BIH 1710277, 1710275-1710211, 1710209-1710204, 1710202-1710200

BUNDLE 3
BIH 1460298-1460260, 1460258-1460256, 1460254-1460249
BIH 1510257-1510201

BUNDLE 4
BIH 1410245-1410204, 1410202-410201
BIH 136299-1360244

BUNDLE 5
BIH 1260299-1260243
BIH 1310242-1310200

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »

Well, got my first one today.  Not from an ATM, but in change.  It was a BIH and I had to spend it.  It was VERY crumpled and folded.

I keep trying various ATM's.  Still nothing.

Login with username, password and session length