Author
Topic: BoC notes and the ever-shrinking signatures  (Read 7304 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:30 pm »

I've noticed a trend toward the marginalization of the BOC officials' signatures with each passing series of banknotes. 

In the first series of 1935, the signatures were prominently displayed on each note whereas on the latest polymer series, they are no more than a small afterthought on the note.

What's next...The governor and  deputy governor's signatures displayed as QR codes?  ;)

This is one design choice I don't approve of.  I think the signatures of the top BoC officials should once again be prominent features on future series.

What do you think?

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:13:40 pm »

That's great observation. What is also interesting is that for the first time with the introduction of the Poloz signature we had a full name signature and for the first time with Wilkins signature both the Governor and the Deputy Governor have full name signature.

If you noticed the BoC has had to make minor changes to the manner in which the signatures are positioned relative to the titles and relative to the portraits. The space between the titles has changed in one instance every so minutely but still discernible with naked eye.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:34 am »

I think the signatures' size is just about right now. As design elements, signatures don't add very much, and keeping them small and out of the way works for me.

PS Poloz wasn't the first to use his full name signature - Tiff Macklem beat him to it.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:41:39 pm »

I think the signatures' size is just about right now. As design elements, signatures don't add very much, and keeping them small and out of the way works for me.

PS Poloz wasn't the first to use his full name signature - Tiff Macklem beat him to it.

Call me old fashioned, but I would respectfully disagree.  :)

The signatures in my opinion do add to the design aesthetic of the note.  They convey authority and also a bit of the individuality of the person.

What I do not like about our current notes:

1.  The lower case font
2.  The asymmetrical design
3.  The volume of empty space
4.  The absence of a defined border
5.  Text that is curved, sideways, and differently sized.  (I know this is a security feature, but I still don't care for it.)

I wish that we would do one of two things:

1.  Return to a more traditional style of banknote.  (I actually like the "stock certificate" types of notes...The 1935 series is my #1 favourite!)

2.  Turn everything on its head and do something like vertical notes (like Switzerland)...

http://www.snb.ch/en/iabout/cash/current/design/id/cash_current_design_principle
It seems that the Frontiers series was hastily designed on a computer somewhere.

Just my two cents.

Dean 

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »

What I do not like about our current notes:

1.  The lower case font
2.  The asymmetrical design
3.  The volume of empty space
4.  The absence of a defined border
5.  Text that is curved, sideways, and differently sized.  (I know this is a security feature, but I still don't care for it.)

Most of the aspects you dislike about the Polymer series are the features I tend to admire (& have slowly grown on me). The use of lower case font gives the note a contemporary feel (as do #2 - #5).   All the above points tend to lend to the notes a feel of modern technological production.  I have found that the placement of each portrait (in the centre which is the area most worn area of a note) a surprising regressive departure.  Each portrait version is more face on & less a profile tending to make the figureheads seem more common-place (a little less noble).  But my chief quibble lies more in the monotone drab colours which vary so little in contrast (esp $100, $50 & $20).

With respect to the signatures; my chief complaint is that there is a lack of contrast so that the signatures overlap colour.  They appear almost as if they're part of the design (under the largest numeral marker).  Past signatures appear almost bold (& seem to jump out at one) in comparison to our modern day versions.  I agree with your point that the signatures tend to more marginalized & subtle today. I'm guessing the designers have done this for a reason- primarily b/c the signature is less a feature of security/authority than it once was.

The notes feel, texture, and general polymer composition has also been a big letdown to many who have demonstrated the note's weak points (eg tearing).

IMO: Vertically designed notes would have been very progressive & cool to see (maybe next series?)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:32 pm »

IMO: Vertically designed notes would have been very progressive & cool to see (maybe next series?)

What about notes that incorporate horizontal AND vertical design elements?  For instance, the Bank of Toronto $5 chartered note with one of the vignettes turned sideways.

I have to agree with those who said the signatures have less importance than they used to.  Also, I would point out what everyone already knows, and that is the fact that signatures from the early 1954 series and previously were applied separately using signature dies.  These printed signatures tended to be bolder and more like real signatures.  Since the signatures became engraved directly on plates in the 1960s, they have tended to look thinner and less, well, "human".

Finally, I have the feeling Dean will not be too happy if the next governor is named Ed Ho.  :-D

No hay banda  
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:57 pm »

Finally, I have the feeling Dean will not be too happy if the next governor is named Ed Ho.  :-D

That might just happen... :D

My concern is that many kids today have illegible handwriting because they have not been taught cursive handwriting.  Because of this, many of them do not have a signature or will never need to develop one. 

Perhaps what we're seeing on the notes is the "official" death of handwriting or, more precisely, the beginning of the end of cash in general.     >:(

However unlikely this may seem, I would like the BoC to improve the feel of the notes to make them less "plastic". 

I agree with WTTW:  The contrast on the Frontiers series makes the features blend together and the portraits look washed out.  Take the $20 bill.  The Journey series portrait of the Queen was beautifully executed; the 3/4 perspective also did wonders.

The Frontiers portrait of the Queen seems regressive...an almost forward facing, washed out portrait resembling the Birds series (which I disliked).

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:57:35 pm »

That's true - Thx for highlighting that.

Just a slight difference

Tiff Macklem (No Middle Initial)

Stephen S Poloz (Middle Initial Included)
Carolyn A Wilkins (Midlle Initial Included)

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:28 pm »

Don't count them out.

Prior iterations of designs that have been considered by BoC have included vertically designed notes as reported in the Art of Banknote publication.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »

That's true - Thx for highlighting that.

Just a slight difference

Tiff Macklem (No Middle Initial)

Stephen S Poloz (Middle Initial Included)
Carolyn A Wilkins (Midlle Initial Included)

I am not sure if others have noticed it or not but it seems publications the Governor is most often referred to as Stephen S. Poloz but the Senior Deputy Governor is referred to as Carolyn Wilkins although in the signature on the banknote the middle initial A has been included.

Login with username, password and session length