Author
Topic: $50 polymer cut shows 2 plies - how did this cut happen?  (Read 4234 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 26, 2012, 01:14:08 am »

I found a $50 polymer note in a bunch of other 50s. It has a cut which is rather interesting. It seems to show that the polymer layers are in multiple plies (at least 2). Also the manifestation of the cut is such that it does not appear to have been precision made with a sharp object. Finally it would appear that there exists a gap between the two plies at this location and some event has triggered a tear to be initiated exposing the two plies in an offset manner.

It would therefore seem that regardless of when the cut happened there had to be some problem with the two polymer plies sticking to each other at this location.

Would love to hear other opinions about what is happening here.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:39 am »

I found a $50 polymer note in a bunch of other 50s. It has a cut which is rather interesting. It seems to show that the polymer layers are in multiple plies (at least 2). Also the manifestation of the cut is such that it does not appear to have been precision made with a sharp object. Finally it would appear that there exists a gap between the two plies at this location and some event has triggered a tear to be initiated exposing the two plies in an offset manner.

It would therefore seem that regardless of when the cut happened there had to be some problem with the two polymer plies sticking to each other at this location.

Would love to hear other opinions about what is happening here.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5228/tearnotecopy.jpg

Don't know what happened to the upload but here is the URL from ImageShack. My apologies for duplicate posting but trying to figure this out as a new user.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »

Here is the image. Hopefully the thumbnail shows. I think the cut is because of a defect. Would love to hear any opinions on it.

{http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5765/tearnotecopye.jpg:http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5765/tearnotecopye.th.jpg}

Shyster66
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »

Pretty weird eh? Definitely like a 2 ply. Dont wipe your ass with it...lol. Just thot i would give you some response. 127 views and no responses..... Dont think its worth squat, but nice to know anyway...
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »

Thx for the support. I was almost getting a feeling that this issue was going undetected under the radar  :)

My interest in these things is not really what it can fetch. I am a firm believer that you can make more money for time and money invested in other realms of life.

In any case there has been some discussion about how some of the cuts have been made with a sharp object. In comparison I would love to hear from anyone as to how this cut could have been made.

My theory is that the two ply nature of polymer notes creates room for a problem where there are portions where the two plies are not adhered. It is at this location that a cut can initiate and then randomly move along the path of weakness.

I am new to notes and I have only looked at polymer notes. I have seen some other quality control issues with the polymer notes. I would love to hear from anyone who has statistics on the amount of replacement note as a percentage of total notes produced. I have a feeling that it would be higher number.

I think these problems will go away with new notes since I have a feeling that the powers to be are aware about these issues.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »

I did not reply earlier because I did not understand what was being said, and the images are not really helping.

However, after giving it some thought, it would make sense for the polymer notes to be layered because of the holographic window.  The hologram needs protection, and we know from the Journey series that the holographic strip on the face of upgraded Journey notes is covered by a thin clear film.  I guess with the new polymer series, the hologram can be built right into the material without the need to add an extra layer of anything.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Maybe we'll see more error notes that support this idea of plied polymer notes.

No hay banda  
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:43:48 pm »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Maybe we'll see more error notes that support this idea of plied polymer notes.

I am new to notes and just getting a hang of it. Is this worth cataloging somewhere in case others run into similar situations? I tried to upload real high resolution pictures but it did not allow me to upload (or maybe I just did something wrong).

Login with username, password and session length