Author
Topic: Royal Canadian Mint Selling 1912-1914 Gold Coins  (Read 36173 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 01:49:32 am »

I have attached a link to the various photos of the 1912 - 1914 Canada Gold Coins from the Bank of Canada Reserve
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm33zSoK

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:04:44 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

Hello: For anyone who ordered any of these coins, as I did, the mint now reports the shipping date will be in February, citing overwhelming response.
Apparently mint staff members are now also going through all orders to confirm mailing addresses and credit-card numbers before shipping any orders.
Who knows why....
Credit cards will not be charged until the orders are shipped.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:13 am »

I received my coin on Monday.  So far, only the 1912 $5 has been sent out to buyers.  Here's my coin, the obverse and reverse.  I love the lustre and the condition of the coin.  It could possibly grade around MS-63.

I am in love with my coin. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:05:17 pm by coinsplus »

Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 09:52:00 am »

Very nice, did you order the hand selected at $500 or the premium hand selected at $875.00 ?

I'm still waiting for my hand selected 1914 $5.

Philippe
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

Hi Philippe_B,

It is the $500 hand-select version.

Not too shabby for the price. 

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »

Nice

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
tmort
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:34 am »

Very nice. Sort I missed out, that is beautiful. :P

CPMS member
tmort
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:45 pm »

Did anyone else receive their coin(s) yet. I am on the fence about ordering a $10 coin, and wanted to get other's thoughts on how nice they actually are.

CPMS member
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 12:42:06 am »

Did anyone else receive their coin(s) yet. I am on the fence about ordering a $10 coin, and wanted to get other's thoughts on how nice they actually are.

I placed an order for a 1914 $10 coin on Dec. 5, but I cancelled the order last week.  The 1913 and 1914 $10 still haven't sold out yet while the $5 coins sold out rather quickly.  True, there were about 3x more of the hand selected $10 coins than the $5, but the failure of the $10 coins to sell out by now (at prices below trends) tells me that I might have a hard time to re-sell a $10 coin for a profit in the future.

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 01:54:35 pm »

So members

Quick question for you.  Do you think these coins were a good investment or not?  Did anyone else get the coins as I. Did not.

Just curious

Thanks

Polarbear
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:36 pm »

Could you elaborate as to what a good return would be to you and for how many years would you commit to holding these before selling?

At a minimum one would hope to see their investment match inflation which would work out to a 0% return otherwise if you spent $1,000 ten years ago and sold it for $1,000 your return would be about -25%, you would need to sell it for $1,250 just to break even. (Rough estimates) 

I’ve posted about this subject in the past. I have done a ton of work on the investment potential on bank notes (not so much coins) and it was not very compelling. Not only was the returns weak but the sheer trouble of trying to sell a $200 notes into a somewhat illiquid market one at a time is hardly worth it.

I personally believe that gold prices are being manipulated to the down side by major central banks in order to encourage people to continue and believe in paper money. (Central banks are printing more and more which in theory devalues it’s worth) If you’re interested in knowing the devastation and effects that can occur with massive printing of paper money take the time to read up about the South Sea Bubble and John Law. There is no reason for gold not to pop to the upside but when gold prices start to reverse their trend upwards many who believe gold will only go up will be left with large loses and when you factor in inflation your talking about having to wait decades to breakeven.

I’ve never been one to believe in the theory of the greater fool which is, Buy high and sell to a greater fool as this very rarely works out. If I had gold and silver coins right now I would be selling them into the large crowd of believers that say gold is going to $3,000 per once.

My vote would be, not a good investment.

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »

Could you elaborate as to what a good return

At a minimum one would hope to see their investment match inflation

I’ve posted about this subject in the past.

I personally believe that gold prices are being manipulated to the down side by major central banks

I’ve never been one to believe in the theory of the greater fool

My vote would be, not a good investment.

Regards,
MG

Totally agree with all your points except about gold prices on which I do not know much.

Many collectors of currency and coins often ask about returns on their collections before deciding whether to get into it. For me collecting is about fun. If I think I am going to enjoy possessing something that in itself is the intrinsic value. So for me it is like spending money on vacation or books or movies etc. It is discretionary stuff. I don't lose sleep if it goes down.

On investments in general I would be happy on average to get an annualized return of about 5% after inflation. This is for money that I would need to save for the life I want to live. I do not consider coin or currency collection as investment simply because the buy and sell spreads are ridiculously high.

I consider bullion as a way of diversification. Even then I think the equity markets as a better vehicle for that where buy/sell spreads are low and commissions are small. I would think that there is some room in a diversified investment portfolio for physical bullion.

So there you go. Bottom line - collect for fun. If you want to make money with coins and currency become a dealer. Sometimes on the way you will hit a lottery and life will seem sweet. :)

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:34 am »

Received my 1914 $10 gold coin.  Pretty pleased with it.  Fantastic obverse... some bag marks on the obverse.  Grades at least MS60+
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:05:38 pm by coinsplus »

Shylo
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:47 pm »

You have yourself there two really nice coins.... coinsplus.. congrats on such a fine aquisition.
tmort
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 11:53:08 pm »

Nice coin coins plus! Was this the hand selected or premium hand selected coin?

CPMS member

Login with username, password and session length