Author
Topic: 2012 1Kg silver coin  (Read 7587 times)
Shylo
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

What do you think of the 2012 1 Kg silver coin and how much would you pay for it... do you think it is a decent investment?

So far I have picked some RCM maples and some liberties but wondering if there's any point in getting something of this size.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

I think you'd be better off buying silver bullion in the form of bars if you want 1 Kg.  For the $2,250.00 the RCM is charging for their 1 Kg coins, you could buy 2 Kg of silver bullion and still have money left over.

Shylo
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:23:41 pm »

And if I could pick it up for just a bit above spot... say 1100?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:24 pm »

What do you think of the 2012 1 Kg silver coin and how much would you pay for it... do you think it is a decent investment?

So far I have picked some RCM maples and some liberties but wondering if there's any point in getting something of this size.

As an investment it's a huge ripoff. The melt value, which is what you'd get for it if you ever decide to sell it, is half of what they are selling this piece for. Buy bullion if you want to invest in silver.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »

If you can get it for that price then I would say it's about as good an investment as buying 1 Kg in silver bullion...maybe somewhat better since there's the numismatic value.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

One dealer in Toronto has listed price of Australian silver dragon 1kg coin for less than 1095 at today's spot price. You can actually get an equivalent amount of 1 oz maple leafs for a total cost below 1100. If you don't mind the numbers it may provide a better hedge.

Generally any price below 8-10% of spot will be a good price at the retail level.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:16 pm »

Generally any price below 8-10% of spot will be a good price at the retail level.

I meant 8-10% above spot. For example today's spot is about 29.90. So if you can get 29.90+0.1*29.90= about $33 dollars or less you are doing good. Of course higher the volume better the negotiating capability.

Shylo
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

I ended up picking it up... at current spot price per oz I think I paid approx 3.28 over spot. I don't much like paying over 2.50 over spot for any silver just hard to recoup the premium if the market is going sideways... I don't think it's that bad of a deal I have seen coins like this listed on e-bay for a lot more (doesn't really mean anyone is buying 'em) But hopefully if silver goes up a touch there may be some room for profit.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Shylo
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:36 am »

I ended up picking it up...

Enjoy. Which one did you get? Coin or bar? and what mint?

Shylo
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:55 pm »

1Kg Year of the Dragon Australia...

I kind of justified paying a bit more over spot with the reason that I just might hang on to this for a long while as my son was born in 2012 and he might really like this when he gets older...

Of course if silver ever really skyrockets for some reason I doubt that I would hesitate to cash in or trade for something better.

I've seen these listed on e-bay for 2K all the way up to 4K... (doen't necessarily mean anyone is buying them) but if that's the case and I need to liquidate I can still sell for 1800 and I will make money... or if spot goes up a few notches I could at least break even... all in all I think it adds a nice shine to my collection.

If I ever figure out how to post pics... when I pick this thing up next week I might put one up...

Login with username, password and session length