Author
Topic: Coins picked from circulation  (Read 156638 times)
Shylo
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »

Rupiah...

I totally agree with you.... I believe that true collectors will collect what interests them based on their excitment for something.

That especially has to be true for most people that are getting into this hobby at this time. I believe that since 2008 most notes have actually lost some value.

Now why I stated that I had no idea as to the value of the pennies is because I am someone who really does get excited about the value in different objects. I personally am a big fan of fractional notes... one because you expect 0.25 to be represented by a coin instead of paper and also because of the notes are now bought and sold for.

I won't lie after reading some of the post I did go through some of my pennies, but from my days of playing rumolli I have well over $50 worth of pennies in cans some of which date back to the '40's ... My interest in the penny isn't that great, but I've kept the coins for when we play rummoli tournaments as a family.. this board just sparked my interest wondering if I may have in my possession something of very high value and not even known it.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:52 pm »

Thanks for the reference number. Please note those are printer's proofs, not the issued  note.

I've always had a soft spot for odd things and for some reason, everything I like is or gets discontinued...

Pennies
50 cent coins
$500 notes
shinplasters
blue Pepsi...  :)
Bee Hive corn syrup bottles  :)

Anyway, It's nice to see the printer's proof in English.  I own the French one.  :) Bought it back in '06.  Apparently there are only 4 of those French ones known. 

When the 2002 jubilee 50 cent coins were released for circulation, I did my bit to circulate as many as I could at my job at Air Canada Centre.  I must have given out $500 worth of them.  To my dismay, three things happened:

1.  Almost everyone kept it as a souvenir (Which could be a good thing)

2.  When I gave them as change to kids, a couple of angry parents came back to me and demanded the "right" change...I told them to look at the coin and that it was worth 50 cents!

3.  Some people came back later and tried to pass them off as toonies.

It's not surprising that the experiment failed.  It's not a good idea to reintroduce an effectively dead coin to the public as a one-off experiment.  I would have much preferred a commemorative $50 note for the Queen's Golden Jubilee instead of a coin rejected by the public...

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:31 pm »

Rupiah...

I totally agree with you.... I believe that true collectors will collect what interests them based on their excitment for something.

That especially has to be true for most people that are getting into this hobby at this time. I believe that since 2008 most notes have actually lost some value.

I have picked up some fantastic asterisk notes of the multicoloured and 1954 series at some recent coin shows.  They are very reasonably priced now...

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:57 am »

Thanks for the reference number. Please note those are printer's proofs, not the issued  note.

Thank you. Something new to learn.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 12:34:33 am »

So I guess if you held on to the 500 you would have made a  much better return than the stock market.

If one were to make a pick which one of today's notes would be the equivalent of 500 from 1935 in another 78 years? :(

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:57 am »

if I may have in my possession something of very high value and not even known it.

And that's the bonus.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »

Today's finds from $5 worth of pennies:

3 x 1964
3 x 1967
1 x 1966
1 x 1955

However, from $25 in loonies, I found a 1927 confederation medal!   ???

Wow, I'd never think that one of those would make it into a loonie roll...Probably not worth much as every schoolkid was given one back in the day...

Dean

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:24 pm »

However, from $25 in loonies, I found a 1927 confederation medal!   

Can I assume you meant a 1967 medallion....a 1927 one would be a nice find ")

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 10:59:10 pm »

Can I assume you meant a 1967 medallion....a 1927 one would be a nice find ")

It's a copper piece, very thick, with a double bust of George V and Victoria.  It says Confederation Canada 1867-1927.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 12:33:08 am »

It is probably this medal. 

{http://coinquest.com/cgi-data/cq_ro/response_380/canada_confederation_medal.jpg}

More info on this site:
http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=1194&main_ct_id=23

Interesting find in a loonies roll.  Congrats Dean.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:29:35 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 12:58:50 am »

Yup, that's the one!   :)  Needless to say, it will be kept.

JB-2007
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:11 am »

However, from $25 in loonies, I found a 1927 confederation medal!   ???

Wow, I'd never think that one of those would make it into a loonie roll...Probably not worth much as every schoolkid was given one back in the day...

Dean
I have one of these 1867-1927 Medals, they are quite interesting, however they are quite common and only worth a few bucks.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »

Went to the bank today to pick up my order of 10 boxes of pennies only to be told that they cancelled it.  Can they do that?  >:(  I did buy $40 worth...This was all they had in the drawer.  Now I don't know how I'm going to continue with my penny hobby...

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:26 pm »

Now I don't know how I'm going to continue with my penny hobby...

I think the next thing to go might be the nickel.  :)

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

I think the next thing to go might be the nickel.  :)

Maybe when inflation finally erodes what little purchasing power the nickel has, it too will be gone.  What I'd really like to see happen is up front pricing where the tax is included.  No more of this adding tax nonsense.  What you see on the sticker is what you should pay.  They do this in Japan and I had no problem with it...I knew exactly how much things would cost.

Login with username, password and session length