Author
Topic: Coins picked from circulation  (Read 156932 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 06:23:02 am »

Dean your posts piqued my interest... prior to Feb. 4th I managed to pick up 5 boxes...
:)
I can say the whole searching through each roll is kinda fun.  I certainly can say I'm not exactly getting the same luck as you.
Where are you located?  I live in Toronto and there's no shortage of banks with large volumes of used coins.  I also ask store owners to exchange pennies with me.  Most are happy to comply and I usually go right before closing time when they are cashing out so they don't have to reuse all those pennies! 
I've picked out a few from the 60's and 70's perhaps a dozen from the 50's but only one from 1940.
It's just the law of averages...The more you search, the more you will find...I never found as many pre-1967 coins strictly in change, but when I started roll hunting, there they were!  I have searched through 7 boxes since I've started and the old coins are quite plentiful.  I'd say that on average, 5-10 % of all coins in the boxes were pre 1982 so far with the most common dates being 1975, 77, 78,79, 80, and 81.

I did find 2 wheat pennies which was kind of cool.
What were the dates of the wheat pennies?
You mentioned the term "RED" ... you know of any website that could explain this feature well?
RED refers to the degree of lustre on the coin.
I've seen on some auction sites that talk about red, or toning.. but aside from "tarnish" or "petina" I really think this is something I'd like to learn more about but have no idea of how.
The best thing to do is to experience mint lustre for yourself...Brand new coins from rolls can be said to be red.  (Although, the steel plated ones are more pink then red when in mint state)
Thanks for getting me hooked... the whole time I'm doing this.... I've been thinking that I would like to do quarters next.
You're welcome  :)  Quarters can get expensive to hunt and there are few options aside from the most recent commemorative coins.  The mint has reclaimed many of the solid nickel coins...The pickings are slim.  I suggest you try hunting nickels.  They are another neglected denomination.  Many people throw those in jars too.  Recently, most of the nickel nickels have disappeared too...
It's pretty sad to think that in very short order, most of our circulating coins will be no older than the year 2000.  :(

Good luck and happy hunting!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »

Today, I rescued a few more pennies from the melting pot...While shopping, I managed to pick up the following coins from stores still giving them out:

2 x 1967
1 x 1992 (Don't see many of these...)
1 x 1944  :)

I think it will be fun in the coming months to try to score as many pennies from "the wild" as possible.  As they are more actively withdrawn, this will become more challenging.  Perhaps we could make it a challenge?  :)

Dean

Shylo
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:34 pm »

Dean:

The two wheat pennies I found were 1948 s & 1957 d

Both are in very good condition or better I would say... but I still have a lot of coin grading to go before my judgement can be relied upon... Perhaps if I have some spare time over the weekend I'll post up some pics..

Still going through the pennies I have, but when I finish my plan is to do what you did and start trying to exchange rolls with businesses ... Since I've never actually done this, I'm thinking convinence stores may be the best route... have you got any suggestions?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »

Hi Shylo,

You're not planning to get rid of your pennies are you?  Look what you can do with them!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2_68bJgBckk/ULPPCns8oII/AAAAAAAAAAk/p0GyP7ds4xA/s1600/PennyFloorFinal.jpg

Anyway,  If you patronize a local store, ask them to set aside any pennies they may have.  Larger big box stores will lessen your chances; "you'll have to ask the manager"  these folks tend to say.

Mom and pop stores are the best for this sort of search.  As always, be flexible, offer to buy all they have and buy something in the store if they are helpful to you.  Make friends with the tellers at your bank.  They will surely help you out...

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »

Oh, I forgot...Go to the store/restaurant later in the day near closing time...They will be happy to exchange pennies so they don't have to cash them! 

Go to a store and ask to exchange the pennies out of the tip jar (and add to it later if they let you look through the coins  :) )

Also, try pizza joints.  People often pay for a slice with chump change (At least in my neighbourhood they do)  Often, the cashier will have a drawer full of pennies.

Forget Tim Hortons...They are already donating their pennies to charity.  In fact, the manager at my local Timmies told me that they started rounding prices to the nearest nickel months ago  and donating the odd cents to the Tim Hortons charity.  Isn't rounding before February 4th called ripping people off???   >:(

Convenience stores have the take a penny tray.  Ask to buy the pennies out of these.  Most often they will not care!

Good luck!

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »

I think it will be fun in the coming months to try to score as many pennies from "the wild" as possible. 

Dean

I saw a kijiji ad that said that there is a service where they come to your home and take all your change and roll it up right there. They discount the total by 20% for the service and give you the cash.

Nice business  :)

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »

Hi Shylo,

You're not planning to get rid of your pennies are you?  Look what you can do with them!

In some cultures if you touch money with your foot you are sure to become a pauper. So watch out. ;)

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2013, 08:57:14 am »

In some cultures if you touch money with your foot you are sure to become a pauper. So watch out. ;)

Judging from that picture of the penny floor, if there should be an electrical fault in the oven or dishwasher, you are sure to become electrocuted!  :o

Shylo
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2013, 11:53:52 am »

I saw a kijiji ad that said that there is a service where they come to your home and take all your change and roll it up right there. They discount the total by 20% for the service and give you the cash.

Nice business  :)

Dang that's a fantastic business!!! Can't see it being too prosperous.. at my bank they have a change machine.. put all your coin in it.. and the machine gives you a slip of paper... you go to the teller and it's like making a deposit for 100% of the money .. no fee at all.

Shylo
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:06 am »

Ohh yeah.. and I found another wheat penny last night Dean.. 1945 s ...

I tell ya those are a neat find.. I also get kinda excited for anything pre-1970

After all said and done, my plan is to make up sets... I want to make up sets of pennies from as early as possible up until 2012.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2013, 09:37:27 pm »

Dang that's a fantastic business!!! Can't see it being too prosperous..

The number of people using the change machine at loblaws and metro is incredible. I believe they also discount the cash. I think you might be right about the prosperity of the business but if you were to just hit one of those rare coins you possibly hit the jackpot  :)

tmort
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

The number of people using the change machine at loblaws and metro is incredible. I believe they also discount the cash. I think you might be right about the prosperity of the business but if you were to just hit one of those rare coins you possibly hit the jackpot  :)
Anyone know who owns those change machines? A guy should try to buy one and put it on site somewhere.

CPMS member
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2013, 12:58:20 pm »

I managed to get $53 in loose penny rolls from the bank today.  In $3 worth, I have found:

1 x 1940 (rim damage)
1 x 1964
1 x 1966
1 x 1967
2 x 1968 (one mostly red)

1 x 1960 USA (nothing special, but it is over 50 years old...)

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:50 am »

Today's finds from one box of $25:

1 x 43
1 x 44
1 x 51
1 x 53
1 x 56
1 x 58
1 x 59 RED
2 x 60
1 x 61
6 x 62
5 x 63 1 RED
9 x 64
5 x 65
6 x 66
10 x 67
7 x 68
12 x 69
1 x 71 RED
1 x 78 RED

USA
1 x 45
1 x 51D
1 x 59D

Other
1 x Greece 1 Euro
1 x Canada 10 cents!

All in all, I was thinking this would be a less than spectacular batch until I found what I think is a 1985 pointed 5...Check it out!  The top of the 5 is distinctly thinner than most '85s which have a fat top.

Happy hunting!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

pictures:
{http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1179/picture198m.jpg:http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1179/picture198m.th.jpg}

{http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6554/picture199q.jpg:http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6554/picture199q.th.jpg}

{http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1940/picture200u.jpg:http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1940/picture200u.th.jpg}

What do you think?
Dean

Login with username, password and session length