Author
Topic: Coins picked from circulation  (Read 156942 times)
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:55 pm »

I want to make some good sets of '60 - 2012 pennies... that look really nice...the pennies are circulated and they never will be worth more than one penny IMO... so I am going to practice certain dips and whizzing techniques.

So far, for dips I have been looking at vinagar, lemon juice, and potassium cyanide.

My technique for whizzing right now is basically using a standard drafting eraser, inserting it in my corded drill and going to town on the penny.

I want to read more about the cyanide before I get my hands dirty with that of course... but so far I have done a bit of whizzing on some pretty ugly coins to see what can be done about the "brown"

Be very -no, not very, extremely-careful with cyanide...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get it mixed with ANY acid...otherwise, you'll get a whiff of hydrogen cyanide which will kill you in a few breath...If you smell a odor of bitter almonds, it's a serious warning:  get away! with any person with you.  There's some methods to safely destroy cyanide, but these are quite difficult to use by someone not familiar with chemistry. 

Otherwise, put gloves on your hands, let any food away (don't confuse it with salt...).

You absolutely want to have so shiny coins?  A coin can be as nice with a brown patina...I'm not opposed to remove  the grime and grease found on anSo old coin, but to have such contaminants, the coin had normally circulated a lot...so the grade is rarely higher than VF...

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:35 pm »

Here's a coin that was discovered in pocket change.

Cheers, Bill

Nice

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Shylo
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »

copperpete:

Thanks for the tips... I have access to a decent chem lab so if I do decide to work with cyanide it will be in a very controlled environment most likely using a vacuum chamber.
Shylo
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:38 am »

Geeze I missed reading of Dean's updates.... hope you haven't run out of pennies already bud!

In my .50 cent hunt I did manage to find 1 '84 small beads today... and I did a little celebration dance...
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:08 pm »

Geeze I missed reading of Dean's updates.... hope you haven't run out of pennies already bud!

I'm still here, just very busy this week. 
A rescue from the wild today:  a 1965 small beads cent.  Nothing special, but people are still giving out pennies in change.  :)

I am currently staring at 12 unexplored boxes of pennies...Dunno if or when I'll be able to get more, but I'm enjoying this while it lasts...

Happy hunting!
Dean

Shylo
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2013, 11:35:06 pm »

12 boxes!!! OMG!

That's just crazy.. my girl is getting crazy mad with the 6 boxes I have sprawled out so far...
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2013, 06:44:53 am »

12 boxes!!! OMG!

That's just crazy.. my girl is getting crazy mad with the 6 boxes I have sprawled out so far...

That's why I'm single...I can do whatever I want the only opinion that matters is mine!  :)

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »

I did a little celebration dance...

You guys really make this forum worth reading. Good to see folks being happy with face value finds.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Shylo
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:38 am »

FACE VALUE finds... are you kidding!!!

I found a wheat penny last night (love finding those lil guys!) it has to be worth at least 1.25 cents!!!

That's value baby!! (does another little dance  :D)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:07 am »

Maybe when inflation finally erodes what little purchasing power the nickel has, it too will be gone.

We're already long past that point, IMO. Smallest coin should be a dime, and a toonie should be no bigger than a quarter. The coins are all much too big for the purchasing power they represent.

What I'd really like to see happen is up front pricing where the tax is included.  No more of this adding tax nonsense.

Except for items with the price pre-printed on it (books, magazines, and the like), retailers are free to include any GST/HST in their prices if they so wish. If there was a competitive advantage to doing so, more retailers would do it. But there isn't, so most don't.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »

I managed to get 2 more boxes from the bank today.  The first one looked promising because all of the coins are in plastic coin rollers, but after looking through $10 so far, I have found:

1 x 41
1 x 56
1 x 57
1 x 58
2 x 62
3 x 63
2 x 64
1 x 65
7 x 67
7 x 68
3 x 69

USA
1 x 1957D Scratched almost beyond recognition on the "Wheat" side.

I thought the finds would get better as people turned in their pennies, but it has not turned out that way...

Maybe it's all in my head...It IS a hunt after all, and sometimes the pickings are slim...  :)

Happy hunting!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »

You guys really make this forum worth reading. Good to see folks being happy with face value finds.

I'm happy because it brings back good memories of my childhood spent finding "treasures" at face value at the bank, the store or from relatives .  Yes, the tellers used to let me look through change in their till and would keep stuff for me.  This was back in the '80s when people seemed friendlier...

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2013, 05:47:45 am »

I thought the finds would get better as people turned in their pennies, but it has not turned out that way...

Maybe it's all in my head...It IS a hunt after all, and sometimes the pickings are slim...  :)

Well, I can officially eat my words because I searched the rest of the box and found the following coins:

1 x 45 pretty chewed up
1 x 53
1 x 57
1 x 58
2 x 59 (1 with really nice rainbow toning, like oil and water.  The picture does not do it justice.)
{http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4996/59rainbow.jpg:http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4996/59rainbow.th.jpg}

2 x 62 (this is the find of the day...A nice RED double 962...WOW!  :) )
{http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9493/1962double962001.jpg:http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9493/1962double962001.th.jpg}

1 x 66
6 x 67
7 x 68
7 x 69

USA
1 x 1950D
1 x 1951D
1 x 1957

See why I love coin roll hunting? :)

Enjoy the hobby!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2013, 12:00:26 pm »

Just opened the second box to find 5 rolls of brand new 2012 pennies in the shrink wrap...   :)  The rest of the rolls are paper rolls, not machine crimped ones...

Any takers??? 

Dean

Shylo
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »

5 rolls of 2012 pennies!!! sweet deal!!

I've managed to pick a few out of rolls here and there but whole rolls nice!

Today's find for me.. 1974 dollar... double yoke #2

Coin is so nice I'm going to take it to the dealer for an unofficial grade... I'm hoping for AU ... (ohh who are we kidding I'd really love an MS-65) but in reality.... and AU will very much make my day.

Login with username, password and session length