Author
Topic: Do you know what happen or have you seen these or others like them before?  (Read 6196 times)
Hunter

These two notes sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago and something’s been troubling me. Even though they’re not mine I hope if I post pictures of them on CPMF someone might help me figure out what caused the errors.

I can tell right away it’s not the result of a simple ink transfer from one note with wet ink touching another note because the transfer would be mirrored and these ink errors are not. So if it is an ink transfer then it would have had to be transferred at least twice to show up on the front this way. Or could be a sheet was printed with only the green ink but really really sloppy like the pictures illustrate but instead of the sheets being discarded they were mistaken for good sheets and flipped over and reprinted with both the black ink and green ink again. I’d like to accept either of these explanations if it wasn’t for the fact that the messed up green print on both notes have the same goofs and smudgy appearance as if the notes were printed at the same time but their serial numbers aren’t even close. Although the errors certainly look real to me in the pictures and could very well be, I’m also taking into consideration they might be altered too. I have no experience with the seller but I am aware that it’s the same seller that was selling regular notes and calling them counterfeits a month ago. With a track record like that it’s not hard to believe that they’re selling regular notes calling them errors. Was someone clever enough to figure out how to fake this?

I’m not sure why I’m interested maybe it’s because I wanted them for myself but decided not to bid and now I’m looking for someone to validate my suspicions or tell me I’m just paranoid.
 {http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9179/00dd.jpg:http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9179/00dd.th.jpg}               

{http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8328/ex4h.jpg:http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8328/ex4h.th.jpg}

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »

Well, you're not nuts. :)

Something is definitely a little off with these notes.  I agree that they're not offset printing errors due to the orientation of the printing.  But I don't think they're printing on the wrong side errors either because the printing is so crude.  It almost makes me wonder if someone made these on their inkjet printer.  It's certainly a possibility, but I can't confirm it.  I really have no good idea as to what caused this.

Given the possibility that these were fabricated, it would be very hard for me to put any premium on the notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:59 am »

It almost makes me wonder if someone made these on their inkjet printer.

That's what I thought right away. A real one dollar note with back of note printed on top.

Gary_T
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:36 am »

Looks like inkjet to me.

Look at the ink blotch on the bottom left corner of the 2nd note.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »

@Hunter

From the mechanics of printing perspective your analysis is absolutely correct.

It is hard to believe that it is genuine. I also saw the note on e-bay and had similar thoughts.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:14 pm »

I just went and checked the e-bay listing. It looks like the first time around the listing was ended and the second time around the notes sold for:

US$159.50 and US$282 respectively. Vive La Free Market.  :)

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »

Here are some additional things to consider that make this condition questionable

Based on the serial number the notes are post 1984 meaning that they are lithographed backs. According to published information the back of the notes were printed using 3 lithographic plates.

Then notes appear to indicate that all three plates printed right side up with same amount of fuzziness.

What are the chances? ???

Login with username, password and session length