Author
Topic: All Star Hockey Stick on $5 - In Celebration of NHL settlement  (Read 29298 times)
ShareBear
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »

Back in on August 3, 2011 I posted scans about this variety.  I noticed that the  "The 2 smaller hockey players and the lady skating with her child are both missing some colour on their sweater and pants. "

What I did not notice was the missing ink on the hockey stick.

Nice to know that it is being recognized as such  :)

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=12273.0

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:43 pm »

Back in on August 3, 2011 I posted scans about this variety.  I noticed that the  "The 2 smaller hockey players and the lady skating with her child are both missing some colour on their sweater and pants. "

Hi ShareBear,

When I started this topic I did not see your thread. Also I was not a member of the forum until fall 2012. However what you have in your topic and the stars are actually related to some extent.

My initial post was going to be:

"Starred Stick and Rosy Cheek"

There is a strong correlationship between the whiteness of the cheek of child with an adult and the occurrence of the white areas in the hockey stick. Similar thing can be said about what you referred to as the "lack of colour" on the jacket of the child besides the adult.

In your post mention was made of the lack of colour in the jackets and the pants of other people. To some extent it is true but what makes the: stick, the cheek, the jacket of the child besides the adult unique is that it is missing ink as opposed to having lighter ink.

I will explain this in another post with images some other time.

Needless to say you had alluded to the same thing that this thread is talking about. What has happened is that I have been cataloging every $5 that passes through my hands and cataloging this condition. Many forum members have been kind enough to send me details on their notes as well.

As I have mentioned earlier I have reached a point where if you give me the prefix and serial number I can actually tell you with 85% certainty if it has stars or not on the stick. What I am really saying here is that there is a predictability to this pattern and that in itself suggests that there is something underlying to this thing.

I am currently working on two possible theories. In both the theories I am saying that the ink that is missed in those areas is caused because the corresponding areas on the plates have become ink resistance (remember this is offset lithography).

More on this later.

But thank you for pointing to the earlier thread. I was going crazy at the beginning thinking I was the only person seeing this. It is good to see that you were thinking about it as well.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »

Hey Sharebear the image from your post is picked up by this blogger:

http://allbanknotes.blogspot.ca/2013/08/canada-5-dollar-double-star-hockey.html

Nice title - double star hockey stick error notes.

The question I still have not answered is are these error notes or variety. Perhaps someone else is looking at this and figured it out? ::)

Can anyone indicate if Charlton classifies this as an error? or is this blogger just interpreting it as such based on the subject under which this discussion is posted?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:50 am »

The comments contained in the Charlton GPM26 catalogue on page 335 are in my opinion very clear.

The stars are not assigned a separate listing in the catalogue, so they are too minor to be considered a variety, and they are also too minor to have been caught by quality control, so they are not an error.

In essence, it's nothing special, but those who wish to collect them may certainly do so.

I trust that this puts the issue to rest.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »

In essence, it's nothing special, but those who wish to collect them may certainly do so.

That's great. Thx for the info.

-------------------------

For those that are interested in this topic I am still maintaining a registry of all reported notes with stars. I have significant numbers in my database for many of the prefixes that suggest some pattern. If you want to participate in it kindly PM me any notes you may have with stars with all the HP- and HA- prefixes.

This way for those who are not interested it does not clog up their reading queue. I will keep all those who have submitted notes to the registry and will do so in the future abreast of my findings. Please PM me if you like me to keep me on the list of those interested.

Thx

Login with username, password and session length