Author
Topic: 1917 $1 error?  (Read 5325 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:55:28 pm »

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 07:08:38 pm »

I'd say folded when wet, then maybe pressed.

Gary_T
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 08:32:42 pm »

Is the seller saying this note is in high grade? ???
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:14:53 pm »

I'm going to agree with Gary on that one.  Just looks like the ink seeped a bit because of water.  The note has obviously been folded for a while.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 11:05:25 pm »

Actually what he says is:

"This is a tough note to find in high grade. "

to which he should add "so keep looking!!!"

JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 11:17:35 pm »

Well 1917 notes are getting hard to find especially in high grade. Any 1917 note is worth investing. Its a fairly good note though its in poor condition it should get no more than $35
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 11:33:38 am »

I disagree with the last post.

I find 1917 notes very plentiful when compared to many other Dominion of Canada notes and certainly would not recommend "investing" in this note unless it were in high grades and only then I would recommend it  less than many of the other Dominion of Canada issues. "Collecting it" is another story. As for "investing" I believe the market is efficient on the note and it has been fully priced and I do not expect its growth in value will outpace the overall Dominion of Canada average. Note that something in the vicinity of 125 million of these notes were made. There is a large supply of lower graded 1917 notes available and the market is somewhat soft on them if anything.

Finding the 1917 note in Strict EF or better has been somewhat of a challenge however and any "investing" in the note should be reserved for higher graded material and even then I would not assign a "buy" rating to this issue, but would not dismiss purchasing an UNC note at full book because I also do not feel it is over-valued in the Charlton 17th edition in this rare condition.

I have spoken up on this because it could be interpreted that investment advice was being given and for the benefit of anyone who was about to run out and "invest in any 1917 note" I would like you to please consider the counterpoint I have provided. Investment decisions should not be based on any surface deep analysis.

Collect like a madman if you like, but "invest" like Buffett.

Troy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:22:53 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:17:16 pm »

Thank you for that economics lecture!  :-/
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:22:58 pm »

I probably know what happened to this Bill. It was probably found in WW1 military supplies. Canadians soldiers during WW1 used to put 0.25$ and 1$ in their Boots to keep their feet warm. It looks like It stayed a long time folded in a place where moisture was very high. Especially when you look to the Back.  A bunch of old 1917 bills come from military shoes.
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:23:26 pm »

Happy to help when necessary.

Thanks
Troy

Login with username, password and session length