Author
Topic: CIBC teller informs me BoC not shipping any polymer $20s  (Read 10266 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »

In terms of geographic distribution I would tend to agree with previous posts that BoC is not making any deliberate decisions to keep certain prefixes out of reach of certain collectors based on a geographical bias.

There may be reasons for distributing more notes in one region v/s another based on needs of the particular region.

Also is it not conceivable that the BoC for purely keeping track of wear on notes may decide to distribute certain range of notes in certain regions? This way when they check for fitness they may have a better grasp of how the fitness changes over time for specific notes based on where they were first distributed.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:29 pm »

Bricks of notes get stored in piles, first at the printing company, then at distribution centres across the country.  Bricks get removed at random with no preference whatsoever for prefix, printing company, age, etc.  To the Bank of Canada, printing companies, distribution centres and financial institutions, one banknote is equivalent to all the others.  A brick of $20s is a brick of $20s no matter what the prefix.

I agree with this statement.  There are many factors that could change the course of whether a particular prefix is distributed in a specific region.  However, I highly doubt that anyone is purposely distributing bricks of notes according to their numbers or prefixes.  There may be some direction (when they first come out) now only according to series (perhaps favouring the new polymer or old Journey series) simply because there may be some preference to use up the old or introduce the new (for the $20 and later for the $10 & $5).  Notes are distributed according to need & that's it.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »

I agree; I'm sure when it's time to send some notes out to a region where they have been ordered, they just grab whatever's closest to the door in the warehouse. It's not like bank note inventory has to be rotated like perishable food.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length