Author
Topic: circulation find  (Read 5727 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:41 am »

Hi,

I got a Birds $5 from a vendor at the Air Canada Centre yesterday.  GPL 1498452 VF+ wallet trauma and one major crease.

FP16 BP48 if this helps anyone out there...

Still a neat find after all these years...Bonin Thiessen notes date back to the mid 1990s!

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:33 pm »

Got a crisp $5 with APH prefix from the bank. Was really surprised to see a 2006 printed note in such a condition.

Got a brid $5 ANT prefix note (I keep word prefixes from circulation) in a bunch of 5's from the bank.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »

Found a $20 Journey radar AZL 7952597 today.  Only in good condition.  Fairly limp with a few edge tears.

therealco1986
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:01:24 am »

I found a 1975 Musical Ride $50 bank note the other day.  Went to the bank to cash a check, and asked if they had any older notes.  Looks to be in extremely nice condition for a circulation find.  I can only assume someone had fallen on hard times who had hung onto it for a while.  Not uncirculated,  but EF, I think.  It's like winning a small lottery, in my opinion.  Maybe I'll upload some scans!
Al D
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:41:50 pm »

I have a sister that works at an Alberta Treasury Branch.
She tells me that around Christmas she sees a lot older notes come through the branch (Journey $50's & $100's).
Often in decent condition, I suppose these were notes held onto for future value but the kid's or Grand kid's presents are more important.
If you have a bank branch where the tellers will give them out now might be a good time to start asking.
Unfortunately the tellers at my Scotia branches almost always tell me "it's against the law" for them to give me these notes.

On another "note" I have found that recyclers (bottles and scrap dealers) often have new notes.
This is because they only have money going out to the general public, none comes in via sales.
Can't find a polymer $5 or $10 at a bank in S'toon.
But the bottle return depot is giving out sequential polymer $5's & $10's
Time to cash in my empties.

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »

Unfortunately the tellers at my Scotia branches almost always tell me "it's against the law" for them to give me these notes.

I had a similar experience at a TD bank.  I was talking with a few tellers about older bills.  They told me they see a lot of old notes come by especially 1$ and 2$ ones, but said they are mandated to cull all the old ones out of circulation and send them in for destruction.  Makes me sad to see crisp older notes get destroyed just because their "old"  :(

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:35:13 pm »

Hi Dean:

>> GPL 1498452   $5 Bird Series

Nice find....   GPL was one of the prefixes where there were some notes printed with the shifted back position number and
most were printed with normal BPN's   

According to the article by Martin Holzbauer in the CPMS newsletter in 2005  Vol 13 #1 Pg10
the known ranges are

GPL (normal BPN)    0021290  to  5899520
GPL (shifted BPN)    two known notes  5931714  &  5951237
GPL  (normal BPN)   5974068  to  9999206

This would suggest that your note should have a normal BPN, but you never know if there were other short ranges of shifted notes elsewhere in the prefix.

Best regards,

MZ

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »

Hi Eyevet:

I'll have to dig around and see if I can locate that note...You've piqued my curiosity.  :)

Thanks,
Dean

Login with username, password and session length