Author
Topic: Brick fees  (Read 10083 times)
CurrencyCollector
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:02 pm »

Hey guys,

I went to my bank the other day to acquire about getting an UNC brick of $5's, they had no problem assisting me in getting it. I asked about the fees and they said its going to cost $2.70 a bundle! That's $27 a brick! I said that seemed a bit steep and the teller agreed with me. I'm curious as to what the bickers here are paying in fees a brick, I'd love to start bricking but not at that price!
Shylo
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:31 pm »

Sounds about the same price I was quoted per bundle...
hdldddpd
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 03:05:55 am »

$27 per 10 is what I was quoted no matter denomination.  Then they went on to say no when I wanted to order them...hmmmm.

And by the way the teller tells me they call them blocks.  A block of 10 bundles.  I tried to tell her a block was 4 bricks of 10 bundles but she wasn't buying it.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:31:49 am »

27 is steep...pay only 15 per brick regardless of denomination

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

When I go to the bank, it's free. I am with RBC.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
CurrencyCollector
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

$27 per 10 is what I was quoted no matter denomination.  Then they went on to say no when I wanted to order them...hmmmm.

And by the way the teller tells me they call them blocks.  A block of 10 bundles.  I tried to tell her a block was 4 bricks of 10 bundles but she wasn't buying it.

Yeah the teller was a bit confused when I said brick, she asked how many bundles are in a brick.
I was told they only keep a small amount of $5's and $10's on hand compared to $20's/50's/100's...
 She seemed skepticle about ordering UNC $5's because most of the bundles that come in are circulated.

27 is steep...pay only 15 per brick regardless of denomination

When I go to the bank, it's free. I am with RBC.

The teller whispered to me "RBC" so maybe they give a better rate..?

Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

The teller whispered to me "RBC" so maybe they give a better rate..?

The rate is "free". It's very easy also. You call the customer service and you ask them to order what you want. You tell them you want them uncirculated. They will ask you when and where. You tell them asap and you choose the branch you want. No fees. They are very kind at RBC.

Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »

The rate is "free". It's very easy also.

If this is true you are very lucky indeed...I wonder how difficult it would be to order blocks of $20, $50, or $100 denominations....if at all possible....and on a regular basis

Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:11 pm »

If this is true you are very lucky indeed...I wonder how difficult it would be to order blocks of $20, $50, or $100 denominations....if at all possible....and on a regular basis

I tell you, 110% true. However, I order only 5 bundles per week. Maybe if I increase I'll get fees... I order mostly 20$ but sometimes 5$ and 10$. I never do 50$ or 100$.

stashthecash
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:56 am »

Bundles cannot be used to report insert/replacement notes because they may have been repacked or returned from brickers. Many brickers that return bricks have already removed any notes they needed/wanted from the bundles and replaced them with other notes or just returned the bundles because nothing was found and the banks will just give them to customers if they have them available. I think if you start to actually try to order a new sealed brick you will be charged a fee since the banks are charged if requesting new uncirculated notes. If you just request a brick of 5's there is no charge but you take what you get new or old...
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:38:34 pm »

Bundles cannot be used to report insert/replacement notes because they may have been repacked or returned from brickers. Many brickers that return bricks have already removed any notes they needed/wanted from the bundles and replaced them with other notes or just returned the bundles because nothing was found and the banks will just give them to customers if they have them available. I think if you start to actually try to order a new sealed brick you will be charged a fee since the banks are charged if requesting new uncirculated notes. If you just request a brick of 5's there is no charge but you take what you get new or old...

No. I specifically ask for brand new banknotes. They are sealed when I get 10 of them only (a brick).

CurrencyCollector
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 08:19:53 pm »

I wonder how difficult it would be to order blocks of $20, $50, or $100 denominations....if at all possible....and on a regular basis

Quantity wise probably not hard at all b/c banks mostly deal with these denominations but allowable cash holdings for the bank would definitely restrict you with 50's & 100's and Probably become a problem with the 20's too. (If ordering a brick of course)

Btw, anyone have an idea what a bank is allowed to hold at any given time?

No. I specifically ask for brand new banknotes. They are sealed when I get 10 of them only (a brick).

I'm confused, so are you ordering 5 bundles or a brick?

There's a RBC by my bank, I'm going to see what they can do. I'll report back  :)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »

From prior discussions on this topic I got a feeling that it is significantly difficult to order bricks. Looks like this thread is reporting a different experience.

Does your transaction not get reported to FINTRAC if it is more than $10,000?

In any case happy bundling/bricking  :)

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:50:52 pm »

I went again today to get my 20$ ... I had only 2 bundles however ... no fees and no question. Brand new BSJ and the window is top share clear !

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »

I went again today to get my 20$ ... I had only 2 bundles however ... no fees and no question. Brand new BSJ and the window is top share clear !
personally this thread is misleading in my opinion...you are talking about getting bundles not bricks....it is a totally different reality...banks will give bundles at no charge if they have them....ordering bricks involves much more than this...ask any seasoned bricker

Login with username, password and session length