Author
Topic: Fake versions of Canada's new $100 polymer  (Read 14576 times)
suretteda
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:46 am »

B.C. police warn of bogus $100 hologram bills
Two counterfeit banknotes found in New Westminster..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/05/15/bc-fake-banknote.html
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:24:44 am »

The link is from CTV News - so there is a video of the counterfeit $100 Polymer Notes:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-police-warn-about-bogus-100-polymer-bills-1.1283569

Scary!!!

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Shylo
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:40:12 am »

What a lazy counterfieter!!!

I mean you finally get the look and feel of the bill and then you don't put up a flag or a few hologram 100's... absolutely just minor details... (sarcasm)

I honestly have a hard time believing that someone would go to all those lengths to make a note and leave out a few minor and quite obvious details... really??!!>!
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:12 pm »

It was only a matter of time before someone tried to do this.    ::)

Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:54:40 pm »

Nobody think it's just maybe an error ? ...

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:18:50 pm »

Nobody think it's just maybe an error ? ...

Intaglio has been reported to be absent on these notes. That is level 1 security feature.
Part of numbers in the hologram are missing.
Part of embossed number printing in the vertical window are missing.

Hard to imagine all errors in one note.

Plus I am sure what is not reported in the media may be a factor i.e. missing level 3/level 4 security features which are generally not advertised to general public.

It would be hard for me to believe that the RCMP would be involved in giving information to media if there was not much substance in it.

For an understanding of the levels the following may be of assistance:

Source : http://www.turning-block.com/smi/smiapproach/

The way in which the features themselves can be detected:
Level 1 – By human senses without equipment, intervention or stimulation
Level 2
2.1 – Via human judgment through hand-held devices or external stimulation
2.2 – By portable hand-held solutions with a yes/no decision
2.3 – Automated detection
Level 3 – Dedicated to central banks Banknote processing
Level 4 – Forensic – laboratory test & expertise

I believe that some jurisdictions and security suppliers combine Level 3 and 4 into one level.

A more simplistic version of levels according to Rupiah:

Level 1 - General public can recognize e.g. intaglio, hologram, window etc.

Level 2 - May require training or additional equipment to recognize (so people who handle banknotes as a job will be trained into these aspects - forum members should be able to recognize level 2 features) e.g. UV light reader, Infrared light reader, magnetic ink etc.

Level 3 - Knowledge of the features in this level  are kept as classified and only top security people know about it (Many curious numismatic people will get to some of these features by observing many notes and studying the differences but will never be able to get confirmation on them) - If I knew an example I would be working for a document security company. ;)

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:21:45 pm »

If you've ever looked at a fake note you'd be pretty surprised at how the wrongness jumps out at you.  You'd pretty much have to be in a space suit (& not be able to touch it) not to be able to distinguish the phoney from the true article.  In the past when it was paper money, the paper is too thick, microprinting fuzzy, and several other security features that feel & look so out of place.  Its crazy but few of these counterfeiters bother to get the serial number font correct, let alone the right prefix.   Now I have not seen this polymer fake but I'm sure if you were to see it and feel it you'd know it was NOT the "real thing."

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »

If I recall correctly there was a time when many retailers would not accept $100 bills (not sure if it was journey series or  bird series).

Did the thought occur to anyone else that the recent finding of fake $100 which could be easily taken as real note by novice cashiers employed by retailers may cause a repeat of them not being accepted? :(

Has there been any damage control from the BoC to soothe the nerves of the general public/retailers that these fakes were really amateurish and should not take away from all the good things that have gone into this note to prevent faking?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length