Author
Topic: Serrated edges  (Read 4779 times)
stoneswriter
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:22 am »

Hi all, just saw this article in our local news and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it:
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/VLT_pays_out_with_a_strange_100_bill_211067661.html
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:24:03 am »

I personally doubt that its worth "$6000 to a collector"....

Anyways here's another one that recently sold (for a LOT less)

{http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6183/kgrhqzq4fdmr6ijbibrdfhz.jpg:http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6183/kgrhqzq4fdmr6ijbibrdfhz.th.jpg}

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:20 am »

I think the Charlton definition to miscut notes still applies here.  If the note has EXTRA material attached, it would be a more interesting piece.  That $100 looks like it's missing material which could have happened any number of ways.

Personally, I would have spent it before it tore further.

Dean

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »

This note is not worth the $6000 suggested and I would not consider this an error at all. The note most likely was manipulated while in circulation, by hand or in a counter machine. Value = $100. I spoke to the newsroom to let them know the real value of the note and what most likely happened.

Even the note that sold on May 13 on the popular auction site for $125 would not be worth any premium to a collector for the roughed up edge. Anyone willing to pay over face value for notes with a rough edge, please send them my way, I have bundles and bundles for sale, just need to take a pair of pinking shears to it first.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:04:10 pm by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
stoneswriter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:30 am »

I had a feeling that's what everyone would say  :D  It bugs me that now there's a whole whack of people who have read the article in the city and may think they've hit the jackpot if they ever come across something like this... not sure how it even got to the paper in the first place.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:47 pm »

This note is not worth the $6000 suggested and I would not consider this an error at all. The note most likely was manipulated while in circulation, by hand or in a counter machine. Value = $100. I spoke to the newsroom to let them know the real value of the note and what most likely happened.

Even the note that sold on May 13 on the popular auction site for $125 would not be worth any premium to a collector for the roughed up edge. Anyone willing to pay over face value for notes with a rough edge, please send them my way, I have bundles and bundles for sale, just need to take a pair of pinking shears to it first.

Alas if only we had this information when it was brought to the forums attention by this post in early April

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=13594.0

then we might have helped someone make an informed decision.  :)

Hope whoever bought the note that sold on the auction site will find some use for it.

Has anyone followed up on the story in Mirror? It would make nice news item if indeed they were able to sell it for more than face. ;)

In the meantime I am tracking these types of notes - Have identified three $100. Two  with serial numbers also known and the third one in Mirror all from different parts of the Country. Hey if you have contact of the person in Mirror I would love to get the serial number of it.

If you do run into notes like that would you be so kind enough to post the serial number and photo on the earlier thread. Now that it is know that there is no money to be made at least I could get a kick out of knowing what causes the condition. Maybe I can sell my report to the industry that manufactures machines for processing banknotes :D

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Bruxi
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:33 pm »

If these "errors" mean that the note has less surface area than a standard note, that's a problem (thus the "pinking shears" jokes). The more valuable error notes of this kind  have additional paper/polymer material, not less.

Login with username, password and session length