Author
Topic: Bank of Canada 1975 $100 note reverse Lunenburg Nova Scotia vignette  (Read 6162 times)
DonnyG!

Hi guys... wonder if you can help me. I recently purchased a vintage photograph that shows a view of Lunenburg harbour N.S. It appears to be the exact photograph that may` have been used to create the vignette on the back of the 1975 $100 Canadian bank note. The person who sold me the photograph thinks the photo may be attributed to an early Nova Scotian photographer`named `Knickel`. We`re not sure. Closely examining the photo, it appears to be early 20th century.
My question to you experts, is there any reference material available anywhere that I can look at that describes who created the vignettes and what reference materials or inspirations were used to create them
My Charleton paper money guide does not go into this detail.
My plan is to frame up the photo with one of my 1975 $100 notes to create an interesting conversation piece.
Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Don
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »

The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes has info on this.

The photo from the back of the 1975 $100 was done by G. Hedley Doty, a photographer with the Nova Scotia Information Service.

A great  book, available from the Bank of Canada website.

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

Oh, and C. Gordon Yorke engraved the vignettes of the harbor and Robert Borden.

Hope this helps!

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:19:32 pm »

A great  book

Totally agree - I encourage every one interested in Canadian Bank Notes to at least read that. Wonderful images. Great details about the process.

And yes answer to questions on engravers and vignettes

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
DonnyG!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »

Hey guys, many thanks for the info! Really appreciate the time you took to find the info! This will help me research it more and create an interesting conversation piece with both the photo and the era $100 bill framed up.

Thanks again!
therealco1986
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:04:17 am »

The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes has info on this.

The photo from the back of the 1975 $100 was done by G. Hedley Doty, a photographer with the Nova Scotia Information Service.

A great  book, available from the Bank of Canada website.

I have been trying to get this book for a while.  Can't find it on Amazon and the Bank only lets you pay via cheque.  Not PayPal or Credit.  :(

Login with username, password and session length