Author
Topic: Signature changeover on polymer fives  (Read 73614 times)
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 02:05:37 pm »

found in a brick today    ???      :-D

Nice find!  I have yet to find my first one!  :(

It seems to me that it doesn't matter if a 5$ note is paper or plastic, as long as it has the M/C signatures, it's hard to find!  >:(

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »

S :)o there is still hope for us to find M/C polymer $5
Tristan2010
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:56 am »

Here's one for sale on ebay. However, the seller is asking $100 for it and it's very well circulated. I want one but that's way too much for something we don't know the value yet. They are starting to appear slowly, there is hope for me to find one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321363640064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »

$175.00 + $9.95 for economy shipping  ::)

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »

If you want it I could go and buy it for you as it is in Edmonton and mail it to you for a couple of bucks you would save at least $5 in shipping ;) ;) ;)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Here's mine:

This is the first time I can remember one of these notes being offered publicly, so that means there is no baseline for what these notes are worth.  Naturally, we don't know how many of these notes will be released.  At this stage, it looks unlikely that there will be a major release.  The few M/C notes known all have serial numbers covering a small range.  A public listing like this one could help bring to light more such notes if others are out there.

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:25 pm »

Its actually possible these notes that were circulated were issued as replacement notes.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 04:43:27 pm »

Its actually possible these notes that were circulated were issued as replacement notes.
Or test notes.  ;D

The more I think about it, the more it seems unrealistic to expect any major release of Macklem-Carney $5 polymer notes.  Had Mark Carney simply retired from the BoC and gone into private life, I think it wouldn't be a big deal to see his name on all issues of notes for years to come (since polymer notes should have longer life expectancies in circulation).  But since he is now with the Bank of England, I think that spurred the need to get something into circulation that had the name of the actual governor, Stephen Poloz.  Add to that the fact that Tiff Macklem announced his retirement a mere month following the release of the $5 note last year.  That means the BoC could have a vault full of polymer $5 notes bearing the signatures of two soon-to-be-former employees, both of whom are leaving in somewhat dubious circumstances.  Because the release of the polymer $5 note was moved up, it's possible that no Macklem-Poloz notes were available for publicity purposes, so some of the Macklem-Carney notes that got out of the vault ended up in circulation.

To date, there are 6 Macklem-Carney polymer $5 notes known (5 found since the November 2013 release), and their serial numbers cover a range of about 200,000.  Their discoveries have not been linked to one specific geographical location.

The asking price of the note on eBay seems high, but that's only because there is still the possibility that someone could find a bunch of these notes.  Perhaps a couple of years from now, $175 will be an absolute bargain.

With Tiff Macklem stepping down in May, again I must say that I find it hard to believe that the Bank of Canada will release any appreciable quantity of Macklem-Carney notes.  The initial $5 notes released had prefixes HBG-HBR.  Now we are seeing additional prefixes from HBS-HCB.  All indications are that the BoC is moving forward, not backward.

No hay banda  
papa.charlie
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:51 pm »

If anyone has one of these for sale or know where to get one, please PM me.  :)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »

I have one, but... I'm really on the fence about whether I should keep it or not.  I mean, I don't want to sell it for $20 and have it turn out to be worth hundreds a few months down the road.

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »

I have one, but... I'm really on the fence about whether I should keep it or not.  I mean, I don't want to sell it for $20 and have it turn out to be worth hundreds a few months down the road.
You should hang onto it until the truth about these notes come to life. You could have a rare piece!
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:27 pm »

You should hang onto it until the truth about these notes come to life. You could have a rare piece!

Of course.  These could be nearly impossible to replace, now and in the future.  A good story will just confirm the numbers we're seeing.

Like the others, my note is circulated (VF) with folds but no impairments.   When I got this note, it was right on top of a bunch of fives, so my eyes got really big and I wondered how many more could be inside the bunch.  But of course, there were no others, so that top note was just a tease.

I'm always open to offers, but I doubt I'll get any.

NOTE: ImageShack does not appear to be working.  Keep getting an error message every time I try to upload ("Oops, something went wrong (XML return failed)" )

No hay banda  
Tristan2010
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:26 am »

Another HBG M/C has been listed on eBay but the auction finished yesterday. Unlike the last one, this one was sold for over $200. The condition of the note isn't that great.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271532287876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
cableboy
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 12:01:00 am »

I've been looking for months but finally managed to find one of the elusive Macklem-Carney polymer fives in my till at work today. I could hardly believe it when I saw the serial numbers, and when I flipped it over there was Mr. Carney's signature! It's an HBG in the same range as the rest that have been reported and is not in too bad of shape. I would call it somewhere in the neighbourhood of VF-EF. Keep looking, they're out there!
papa.charlie
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

I've been looking for months but finally managed to find one of the elusive Macklem-Carney polymer fives in my till at work today.

Nice find! What city?

Login with username, password and session length