Author
Topic: Signature changeover on polymer fives  (Read 73593 times)
AZ
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »

Check out this video from the BOC on polymer handling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X14nXc6-u7M. At the 0:46 mark, the notes being shown appear to have Stephen Poloz's signature. Here is a snaphot where I added Poloz's signature from coinsplus for comparison:

{http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1920/n9n7.jpg}

Unless I am mistaken, the prefix on these fives is HBH. This puts the changeover either in HBG or HBH.
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »

That looks like his signature to me.  If anything this may spark more interest in the new polymer 5$ notes (for us collectors that is ;)).

tmort
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »

Yes, I agree that this is his signature.
Anxious to get my hands on some new bills this week.

CPMS member
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:29 am »

At the unveiling in April, a close-up picture I have has notes HBG1330405 and FTH7810523 signed M/C.

So I suspect the changeover will be later on.

But yeah, that is Poloz's signature in the video.

Marc :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:33 am »

All I ask is that everyone please add their notes to the SNDB when you get them.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »

"Poloz unveils the last of the series — the $5 and $10 notes — on Thursday, with the lower denomination note bearing his signature."

From Financial Post Article on Page FP2 "Women possible on new bills, bank says - Absolutely open to the idea: Poloz", National Post, November 4, 2013.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:13 pm »

From Financial Post Article on Page FP2 "Women possible on new bills, bank says - Absolutely open to the idea: Poloz", National Post, November 4, 2013.

Gee, how 20th century of him! But there already are women on the new polymer notes: one of the back of the $100 and one on the front of the $20... :P

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »

Since the notes are fully recyclable, I wonder if HBA-HBG signed M/C were issued for testing and then destroyed and recycled?

Perhaps HBH is the changeover?  M/C polymer $5, if issued, could be collectable.

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:18:12 pm »

Since the notes are fully recyclable, I wonder if HBA-HBG signed M/C were issued for testing and then destroyed and recycled?

Perhaps HBH is the changeover?  M/C polymer $5, if issued, could be collectable.

Hmm...that would be quite interesting if they did that.  It wouldn't be like them though to simply destroy that many brand new notes.  That's 7 prefixes which at about 10 million each would be 70 million notes destroyed which wouldn't make sense from an economic point of view.

FogDevil
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »

Hmm...that would be quite interesting if they did that.  It wouldn't be like them though to simply destroy that many brand new notes.  That's 7 prefixes which at about 10 million each would be 70 million notes destroyed which wouldn't make sense from an economic point of view.

Well, with HBH and HBK finds recently been posted, there may be a likelihood that there won't be any HAM to HBG notes appearing in Canada whatsoever (so much for someone's HAM and EGG combo).  There may likely be some HBG's with the new signature combo, but that will remain to be seen.  But depending on how many of the HB* notes with the new signatures are issued, we may likely get to denominational letter C much quicker now (there may even be HC* prefixes towards the end of the latest printing session for all we know).
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »

(so much for someone's HAM and EGG combo).  [...] we may likely get to denominational letter C much quicker now (there may even be HC* prefixes towards the end of the latest printing session for all we know).

No HAM and EGG?   :'(

But seriously, I'd love to see denom. letter C revived on the $5 note.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »

There may likely be some HBG's with the new signature combo,

Have seen HBG with Poloz signature. Will post shortly once I get my hands on it if no one else has found it.

So far have seen

5- HBG, HBH, HBK, HBL
10- FEW, FEY, FTC
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:21:37 pm by BWJM »

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »

FTC 4597028 is M/C

Tristan2010
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »

This auction on ebay has a picture of the new $5 bill with the M/C signatures. Unlike most of the auctions featuring the new $5 and $10 bills, the picture doesn't look like it was taken from a news story or the Bank of Canada website. I sent a message to the seller asking what the serial number of the note is. He hasn't reply yet.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161150891737&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1123
JB-2007
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »

This auction on ebay has a picture of the new $5 bill with the M/C signatures. Unlike most of the auctions featuring the new $5 and $10 bills, the picture doesn't look like it was taken from a news story or the Bank of Canada website. I sent a message to the seller asking what the serial number of the note is. He hasn't reply yet.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161150891737&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1123
Your right it is indeed a Macklem-Carney $5. Will be interesting to know the serial number,

Login with username, password and session length